Requirement to send updates to attendees when sending invite

jmt356
SilverLounger

Requirement to send updates to attendees when sending invite

Post by jmt356 »

I have added an event to my Outlook calendar. I then invited attendees to that event. Now, when I open up the event, it shows up as an invitation, with the previous recipient in the "To" field, the Subject, Location, description, etc. and a Send Update button.

Whenever I attempt to send the invitation out to a new recipient, Outlook displays a message that states:

You have made changes to the list of attendees. Choose one of the following:
- Send updates only to added or deleted attendees
- Send updates to all attendees

Is it not possible to not send any updates at all whenever I try sending the invitation to a new recipient?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Requirement to send updates to attendees when sending in

Post by HansV »

You should add new participants in the Scheduling Assistant:
S123.png
and then select the option "Send updates only to added or deleted attendees".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Per a test conducted today, when I send an invitation to a recipient, if I then open that invitation in my Outlook calendar and change the recipient to send it to a new recipient, the original recipient will receive a notification that the event was cancelled.

This is not the result I intend or desire. Whenever I want to send the invitation to a new recipient, I want to be able to do so without causing the meeting to be cancelled for the individuals that already received the invitation. I also do not want them to receive a notification that I have sent the invitation to a new recipient.

Will adding a new recipient via the Scheduling Assistant and sending updates only to added or deleted attendees achieve this objective?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, adding the recipient in Scheduling Assistant (NOT overwriting an existing recipient) should do exactly what you want.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In your opening post you typed: "Send updates only to added or deleted attendees". This is precisely what Outlook will do. If you have an existing invite and add new recipients, when you respond to the choice "send updates only to added or deleted attendees", Outlook will not send notifications to the other existing recipients.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is this true:

If I have sent out an Outlook calendar appointment invitation and want to then resend it to more recipients, I can do one of the following without notifying the original group of recipients:

1) Add new participants in the Scheduling Assistant and then select the option “Send updates only to added or deleted attendees"; or

2) Open the event in your Calendar | In the To field, add the recipients to whom you want to send the invitation, without deleting the original recipients | Select Send updates only to added or deleted participants. Because you are leaving the original recipients in the To field, they will not receive a notification. If, however, you delete them from the To field, they will receive a notification that the event has been cancelled. This may be counterintuitive; one would think that to avoid having recipients receive an invitation resend, they should be deleted from the To field. However, the opposite is actually true.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's what Rudi and I have been saying several times now.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have attempted both of the techniques outlined in my last post, but when I press ctrl + S to save the appointment, I only get the option to discard my changes or send an update to attendees. I don't get an option to send to only added or deleted attendees. If I agree to send the update to attendees, will all of them receive the update or only the added ones?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Is there a reason for saving the appointment?
After you edit the recipients, just click Send; the appointment will automatically be saved with the changes.
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Rudi: I'll try that if there are any problems I'll repost.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you still have doubt, and would like to experiment with the settings or prompts, and if you have the means, try sending a "test" meeting request to a group of friends and test out the various options and get their input or feedback.
Regards,
Rudi