Configuring Outlook

bknight
BronzeLounger

Configuring Outlook

Post by bknight »

I just tried to put an account into outlook and failed miserably. I initiated an Hotmail account and tried to add it to Outlook, but it could not log into server.
Any help from anyone?

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Configuring Outlook

Post by Rudi »

See if this guideline helps:
- Add Hotmail & Live Email Accounts to Outlook 2010

If the above still does not assist, see this much more comprehensive guide on account setup in Outlook:
- Configure Outlook with an Outlook.com (Hotmail), Gmail, Office 365, Yahoo, AOL or iCloud account
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

In my anger with MS yesterday, two text messages to my cell phone concerning a blocked account I forgot to indicate Outlook 2007 with a Win 10 machine.
Outlook 2010 works with a wide variety of email accounts, including POP3, IMAP, and Exchange accounts
I can tell you that after searching the internet for some help, the choices in my Outlook does not give me any choice BUT pop3 as the drop down arrow is greyed out.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Can you confirm you are selecting to 'Manually configure the server settings':
x.jpg
If so, is this the drop-down which is greyed-out?
y.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

As I stated in my second post the drop down box is greyed out and the only choice that I have is pop3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The caption of the window in your screenshot says "Repair E-mail Account". What happens if you try to create a new account and select "Manually configure server settings or additional server types"?
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

From memory yesterday, the dropdown box was greyed out, but I can attempt that again.

EDIT:
I remembered incorrectly, however similar error.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I can't see from your last attachment, but can you confirm the "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" option is disabled as Configure Outlook with an Outlook.com (Hotmail), Gmail, Office 365, Yahoo, AOL or iCloud account - HowTo-Outlook suggests?

(You have it selected in an earlier screen-grab.)

If not selected, double-check the other settings:
x.jpg
Failing that, my only experience with failing to connect is an error with my login email address, and/or password.
Leif

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Yes, the SPA was not checked. Using the settings you provided the email was able to at least log in, but still had a failure.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I was poking around today, since I had nothing better to do. Finally go through the maze with success(?). Now that Outlook is configured without errors, I sent an email. Nothing in the software yet, but on the web page for Outlook, the test email arrived.
I set Outlook as a default email account, but Win 10 continues to show pop-ups that a default mail server is not set up, the main and only reason I set up Outlook to begin with.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What is the exact text of the error message?
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I haven't forgotten your question, but since my last post I've had no error announcements. Any thoughts on why the software doesn' have emails sent to that address, but the website based Outlook does contain them?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select Tools > Options...
Click 'E-mail Options...' on the Preferences tab.
I assume that the check box 'Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder' is ticked?
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I didn't communicate correctly:
1. Outlook2007 software has email sents in that folder, doesn't seem to be an issue.
2. Emails sent to this address(identical addresses in both software and website Outlook) display on the website, but do not display in the software inbox. Currently 2 emails from Yahoo account in Website, 0 emails in inbox of software. And yes I did click on the send/receive "box".

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So
a) Messages sent from Outlook using he Yahoo account do get sent (and can be seen in the webmail interface too).
b) Outlook does not receive messages sent to the Yahoo account, but you don't get an error message.

Select Tools menu > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups.
Select the default Send/Receive group (probably named All Accounts), then click Edit...
Select your Yahoo mail account, then make sure that the Receive check box is ticked.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Messages sent from Hotmail account(Outlook2007 software) to Yahoo account are in the sent folder. These emails take forever to reach Yahoo account maybe 2+days.
I don't think I want the a Yahoo account messages in the software, at least not yet.
Messages sent to Hotmail from Yahoo are not in Outlook2007, but have been received by website.
I wish I could orally converse to eliminate my inability to put my responses in prose. :groan:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK then, let me change my previous suggestion slightly.

Select Tools menu > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups.
Select the default Send/Receive group (probably named All Accounts), then click Edit...
Select your Hotmail account, then make sure that the Receive check box is ticked.
Best wishes,
Hans