Edit Message As New

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Edit Message As New

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't find an answer to this question in a search here. The above topic is a command in Thunderbird that allows you to edit a received message and change the addressees and/or text for re-sending to someone else. I use it on those occasions when I receive a multi-forwarded message and I want to send it to someone else. I generally encourage others to do the same on worthwhile messages to get rid of the pages of "forwarding" information.

Is the Edit Message command in Outlook able to do the same thing? I'd like to make the suggestion to someone and I haven't used Outlook for many years and don't have it installed. Thanks...

PS Yeah, the vast majority of those kinds of messages are crap, but sometimes there is a useful one!

Leif
Administrator

Re: Edit Message As New

Post by Leif »

Try:

Actions > Resend This Message

You may be asked to confirm the action as you are not the original sender, but it works in Outlook 2002
Leif

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Warning:

I've just tested this and although it does work, it is sent from:

Joe Bloggs [joe@company1.com] <joe@company1.com> on behalf of Original Sender [original.sender@company2.com] <joe@company1.com>

After you've picked the bones out of that, you may find it liable to cause more confusion than good, and how the sender is displayed (I think) will depend on your email client.

A neater solution may be to open the message to be 'forwarded' and

Edit > Edit Message

Edit > Select All

...and paste it into a fresh message.
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif wrote:Warning:

I've just tested this and although it does work, it is sent from:

Joe Bloggs [joe@company1.com] <joe@company1.com> on behalf of Original Sender [original.sender@company2.com] <joe@company1.com>

After you've picked the bones out of that, you may find it liable to cause more confusion than good, and how the sender is displayed (I think) will depend on your email client.

A neater solution may be to open the message to be 'forwarded' and

Edit > Edit Message

Edit > Select All

...and paste it into a fresh message.
OK Leif, thanks! That sounds like the way to do it. I need to find someone nearby who has Outlook installed so I can try it. I think the computers at the nursing home do, so I'll ask the IT honcho there to try it for me. Thanks again.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Sorry to be late to the party - been travelling for the last 10 days. Maybe I don't understand the question fully, but in Outlook if I choose to Forward an eMail I have received, then it includes the original message, but I can edit the message as much as I choose. I do that pretty regularly with comments on a proposed email for example.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Wendell wrote:....if I choose to Forward an eMail I have received, then it includes the original message...
By default (and my preference), forwards and replies have the original message indented - and it's not always that straightforward to edit out the indent and original sender's details, especially if they are in-line graphics.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Leif wrote:Try:

Actions > Resend This Message
It's almost the same in Outlook 2007: in the Message tab of the ribbon, there's a button Other Actions. "Resend This Message..." is one of the items in the dropdown list.
x184.png
In this version too, you get a warning that you do not appear to be the original sender:
x185.png
Continue anyway; you can clear the From box so that you will be the sender of the new message. If you don't see the From box, click "Show From" in the Options tab of the ribbon:
x186.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans