Link to database

D Willett
SilverLounger

Link to database

Post by D Willett »

Hi

Is there anyway to link my Outlook Calendar to an Access table or query.
We use a database for all staff which is on the server.
I would like a permanent link so my calendar is always up to date without having to create an import - export etc.

Any idea's guys?
Cheers ...

Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Link to database

Post by HansV »

You can have a table in your Access database that is linked to a folder in Outlook, for example to your calendar: select File | Get External Data |Link Tables, and select Outlook or Exchange, depending on which you use. Changes in Outlook will be reflected in the linked Access table and vice versa.

You can't link your Outlook calendar to an arbitrary Access table.
Best wishes,
Hans

D Willett
SilverLounger

Post by D Willett »

Cheers Hans

Strange Microsoft only allow one way traffic.
Never mind.

Best regards.
Cheers ...

Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's not so strange - an Access table can be designed any which way, but an Outlook folder has a fixed structure defined by the application.
Best wishes,
Hans

D Willett
SilverLounger

Post by D Willett »

Just revisiting this and wish to pick some brains so to speak.
I created a maketable query making tblCalExport and configured Outlook to import the data from the table, works great and populates accordingly.
The make table query will run when the access database is closed keeping tblCalExport up to date.
Now, in order to keep my Outlook Calendar up to date with the data, would I have to run the Import/Export function manually from outlook or will this be automatic ?
In other words, will outlook know when new dates are added to the Access database or will I have to force the data across ?
Cheers ...

Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Importing from Access into Outlook does not create a link, so you'll have to import each time you want the data to be up-to-date. Make sure to choose the option "Replace duplicates with items imported".
Best wishes,
Hans

D Willett
SilverLounger

Post by D Willett »

Cheers Hans

Seems like a weekend thing to do then.
Regards
Cheers ...

Dave.

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hans, a question - related to the query above - we have created a sub-set of our Contacts and called it Clients (they are). This was then linked to a table in our Access database. We can make changes either way; however those changes are not implemented until we run the linked table manager in Access 2003. The question is: Is they a way to automate the linked table manager - so that it runs either at a preset time or when the database is closed / opened?
Second question please: I said that Clients is a sub-set of Contacts, is is possible to change a Clirnt's details and have that reflected in Contacts?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Updating should be automatic; I tested it just now and changes were transmitted without having to use the linked table manager.

I don't understand your second question. Is Clients a subfolder or a category?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Second question, we created a second contacts folder and copied those names which were categorised as "Clients" to this second folder and renamed it Clients. If we hadn't done this then I think that all of our contacts would go into Access - not what we wanted. Really if we can update date in just the client category withing Contacts we would be happy?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you copied the contacts into a separate folder, there is no link to the original contacts, so there is no way to update those, except manually.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Thanks Hans, I can see that. Now is it possible to just exchange information between Contact and Access dependent upon one category then please? And how is that done?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can only link to a folder, not to a category, and unfortunately, category information is not included when you link to an Outlook folder. There is no good way to do what you want, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans