rule issue - OL 2007

dasadler
5StarLounger

rule issue - OL 2007

Post by dasadler »

I have Windows 10 and Outlook 2007. I created a rule such that when new mail arrives with me in the TO: or CC: field, a sound will play notifying me of new email.

Problem is that I get a ton of SPAM and am too often being notified of new mail only to find nothing in my Unread Mail folder because my SPAM filter (Norton) caught it and sent it to Junk Mail.

I was hoping for some advice how how to be notified when a new item entered the Unread Mail folder but I cannot find how to do that.

Any ideas?
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: rule issue - OL 2007

Post by Rudi »

Hi Don,

The general consensus (scanning the web and slooking at advice from various forums and articles), is to do the following:

Turn of the general email notification (see how to do this in the reply in this post (though its 2013, the steps are the same for 2007),
Then set up a rule for Junk email with NO sound notification,
The set up another rule for regular email (non-spam) which includes a sound notification.

For more options and guidelines on doing this, see these pages...

- 5 ways to manage emails and control spam in Outlook
- Filtering Spam in Outlook 2010 – Advanced
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Re: rule issue - OL 2007

Post by dasadler »

Thanks Rudi. I don't have a SPAM problem thanks to Norton... my prob is that the new mail notification kicks in before the SPAM filter catches it. Hence, I am notified of new mail but when I look, the unread mail folder is empty because the new mail for which I was notified was correctly caught and rerouted to the junk mail folder.

In essence, I want a rule that notifies me when an email enters the unread mail folder. So far I have not found this to be possible. My googling skills have not yet produced a solution either.

I will continue to play with it and will post back if I find a solution.
Don