Anti-Virus Stopping Outlook 2010 From Running

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Anti-Virus Stopping Outlook 2010 From Running

Post by hlewton »

I use Vipre as my anti-virus program. On my laptop running Windows 10 Home Vipre is causing Outlook to stop running. Vipre’s technical support says to run a repair on Vipre, restart the computer, and run a “Quick Repair” on Outlook 2010. So in trying to do this I have a couple questions.

1. When in Control Panel’s Programs and Features and trying to find Outlook 2010 after clicking on Microsoft Office 2010 a dialog box opens asking if I am sure I want to remove Office 2010. Should this be happening and how do I get around it to try to repair Outlook 2010?
2. Also if I can get to where I can do a quick repair on Outlook 2010 will it affect any of the settings that make Outlook access the Internet and deliver and send emails or any other settings that may affect its operation?
3. Will I need the original installation disk to do this?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Anti-Virus Stopping Outlook 2010 From Running

Post by HansV »

Try right-clicking Microsoft Office 2010 in the Programs and Features control panel, and selecting 'Change' from the context menu.
One of the options should be 'Repair'. This should leave most of your settings as they are.
Whether or not you need the installation disk depends on how Office has been installed. You'll have to experiment.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In addition to Hans's info, see this step-by-step guide.
(I'm not sure why Dianne has the Outlook Connector selected in her first screenshot? I would have thought it would be the Office App, (as selected in the 2007 screenshot.))
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I looked at that link and apparently Windows 10 is somewhat different in that it does not give me the Organize, Uninstall, Change options at the top of the window. However, I can right click on the Microsoft Office 2010 Professional installation and eventually get to repair but it seems to want to repair the entire installation and not just Outlook. I cancelled it at that point. So not sure what would have come up if I continued it. Would I eventually have been given the option to repair just Outlook?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There is no way to repair Outlook alone. It's all of Office 2010 or nothing...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for that. It sure goes against what Vipre's tech support told me but I had my doubts even when I first when I read that I should repair Outlook and do a "Quick Repair."
Regards,
hlewton