View BCC names in sent message

Samantha
3StarLounger

View BCC names in sent message

Post by Samantha »

DaveA wrote:I am using Outlook 2007, but I think the same was in 2003, when ever I Open a sent email from the Sent folder, the BCC names/addresses are shown.
I have been able to forward this same email and/or edited one to the same BCC list, but I had to Copy and paste them from the opened email into the forwarded email.
Dave, I use Outlook 2007 (the Exchange Server version), and one of my enduring frustrations is that once sent, I can't see the BCC names on a message. I find that I must print the message and hand-write a note that I have BCC'd those folks who received blind copies so that my boss knows that they have their copies. If I don't do this immediately, my memory fails me and I end up re-sending messages needlessly.

Is this an Exchange Server issue, or is there some setting that I've so far been unable to locate?
Samantha

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Reclaim BCC list from Reply All?

Post by DaveA »

Samantha wrote: Dave, I use Outlook 2007 (the Exchange Server version), and one of my enduring frustrations is that once sent, I can't see the BCC names on a message. I find that I must print the message and hand-write a note that I have BCC'd those folks who received blind copies so that my boss knows that they have their copies. If I don't do this immediately, my memory fails me and I end up re-sending messages needlessly.

Is this an Exchange Server issue, or is there some setting that I've so far been unable to locate?
Since this is NOT a Outlook thread, repost this question in the Outlook area and get a new thread going.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: View BCC names in sent message

Post by HansV »

I have moved the two above posts from a thread in the Other E-mail Clients forum to the Outlook forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Hi Samantha. I'm not running Exchange Server (suppose I should be so I can answer questions about it, but....), but when I open the message from the Sent Mail folder in 2007, I do see the BCCs listed. If I've sent it to myself, and it comes back into my Inbox and I can't see the BCC list. I take it that you are seeing a different behavior with Exchange Server - what version are you running?
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Samantha wrote:
DaveA wrote:I am using Outlook 2007, but I think the same was in 2003, when ever I Open a sent email from the Sent folder, the BCC names/addresses are shown.
I have been able to forward this same email and/or edited one to the same BCC list, but I had to Copy and paste them from the opened email into the forwarded email.
Dave, I use Outlook 2007 (the Exchange Server version), and one of my enduring frustrations is that once sent, I can't see the BCC names on a message. I find that I must print the message and hand-write a note that I have BCC'd those folks who received blind copies so that my boss knows that they have their copies. If I don't do this immediately, my memory fails me and I end up re-sending messages needlessly.

AFAIK, it's simply a message window view setting, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Method 3. If you don't have this option, it may be an Exchange Admin setting restriction.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Goshute wrote: Is this an Exchange Server issue, or is there some setting that I've so far been unable to locate?
AFAIK, it's simply a message window view setting, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you don't have this option, it may be an Exchange Admin setting restriction.

It is NOT that the Bcc address box is not shown, but when a BCC sent message is opened, then the email address them self are not be seen by the OP.
I have no problem. See attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HansV on 14 Apr 2010, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove dangling [/quote] tag
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Guess I "lost the plot" here. So Samantha has a BCC line, but it's not populated even when she knows she bcc'd recipients? That wasn't clear from the posts.
Goshute

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Guess I "lost the plot" here. So Samantha has a BCC line, but it's not populated even when she knows she bcc'd recipients? That wasn't clear from the posts.
My understanding is that she sees the BCC line when she is composing the message, but after she sends it if she goes to her sent items and opens the sent message, she can't see the BCCs.

(Dave - can you fix your post so the dangling [/quote] goes away. Thanks.)
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Goshute wrote:Guess I "lost the plot" here. So Samantha has a BCC line, but it's not populated even when she knows she bcc'd recipients? That wasn't clear from the posts.
:blush: Time for me to 'fess up and admit that even I don't know what I'm talking about. Without double-checking my facts, I allowed myself to go off on a rant, pullled in by the the "bcc" reference and forgetting that my problem with Outlook 2007 isn't the fact that the bcc addressees don't show in my sent folder, but the fact that even though the reference is there, I can't seem to get it to print. (And I need them to print to prove to my boss that I did in fact send the client a copy of the message -- no use depending on my memory, as it's toast.)

Sorry guys -- if I hadn't been distracted by work, I'd have come back yesterday, admitted my ineptitude and forestalled this whole thread.

But I do greatly appreciate the effort put forth to solve my nonexistent problem. A :kiss: of thanks for each of you.
Samantha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wendell wrote:(Dave - can you fix your post so the dangling [/quote] goes away. Thanks.)
Dave wasn't online, so I fixed it for him... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Samantha wrote:my problem with Outlook 2007 isn't the fact that the bcc addressees don't show in my sent folder, but the fact that even though the reference is there, I can't seem to get it to print.
But I do greatly appreciate the effort put forth to solve my nonexistent problem. A :kiss: of thanks for each of you.
Apology and kiss accepted, just don't tell The Bride. :blush: Does this help: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3495920.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I'm curious to know if you save the message to drive in in HTM or TXT format if it retains the BCC recipients and can then be printed. Maybe you can save to drive instead of killing trees?
Goshute

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Goshute wrote:...I'm curious to know if you save the message to drive in in HTM or TXT format if it retains the BCC recipients and can then be printed...
Unfortunately the .txt or .html file does not include the BCC recipients.
StuartR

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

:bummer:
Goshute

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Goshute wrote:Edit: I'm curious to know if you save the message to drive in in HTM or TXT format if it retains the BCC recipients and can then be printed. Maybe you can save to drive instead of killing trees?
I see Stuart's answered the question as to whether saving the message retains the BCC field. But, even if it did work, you must remember that I work in a law office -- there are days when it feels like my main purpose in life is killing trees. Especially when I would forget and hit the quick print icon in the QAT and end up printing volumes of emails and replies, ad nauseum ...

I've finally solved that problem by banishing the Quick Print button and replacing it with one that pulls up the full print dialog. It creates one extra step to choose the pages I wish to print, but it saves a few dozen trees a week, at least.
Samantha