Taboo Words In Outlook?

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Taboo Words In Outlook?

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't often post here because I use Outlook 2010 for Calendar only.

It seems to have some words that just aren't recognized in a calendar search. The appointments show up correctly on the appointed day but if you search, the result doesn't show those entries.

Two examples. My ISP is Insight Communications and I have more than one calendar entry that contains the word "Insight." But if I search the calendar for "Insight" it shows me a list of every entry on my entire calendar. There seems to be something about that word that Outlook 2010 doesn't like.

Recently I started a long series of appointments at a local medical facility called the Cronin Center. I have gobs of entries on my calendar that all start with the word "Cronin" to make it easy for me to search and view the combined activities. Examples are:

Cronin for Consultation
Cronin for CT Scan
Cronin for Xrays
Cronin for Dr. xxxxx (the doctor's name)

And so on. When I do a calendar search, the entry for "Xrays" does not show up. I've tried adding other words and re-entering the appointment and all manner of things. BUT, for some reason Outlook 2010 doesn't like the work "Xrays."

Has anyone else ever encountered this peculiarity in Outlook? I've worked around the problem by putting "Xrays" in the location box which I do use for additional comments.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Taboo Words In Outlook?

Post by HansV »

Are you using Outlook on Windows XP or on Windows 7?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

XP MCE is my main squeeze but it's also installed in Win 7.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does the same problem occur if you try it on Windows 7? (The reason I ask is that by default, Outlook uses Windows Search on Windows 7)
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

No, I haven't tried on Win 7 since that's my secondary and I'd have to do some data copying.

Outlook 2010 also uses Windows Search in XP. When I first bought Outlook 2010 I had to install Windows Search. Mebbe that's where my problem is...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

OK, I tried it in Windows 7 HP 64. Can't get Outlook to search for ANYTHING and I know I must be a dumb ox.

Windows Search IS turned on in Control Panel, so I don't know what else to check.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's strange - if you enter something in the search box and press Enter, Outlook will search the default calendar. If it doesn't find anything, it should propose to search all your calendars (such as the calendar in your Outlook archive).
x1434.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yep, it did that and that also finds nothing. There isn't much to set in Search options. I was gonna tell it to index ALL folders but got a warning that I shouldn't do that.

I'm helpless...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmm.. I performed some tests and the search option turned up the correct appointments each time.

See if the tips in Fixing Instant Search help.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sorry for not replying last night, Hans. Wow, there's a lot to do and check on that page and it may take me awhile to get to it. I'll let you know if I come upon anything. Thanks...