PST file

dasadler
5StarLounger

PST file

Post by dasadler »

I am moving to another machine today and since I have always been less than satisfied witht he way I have moved the pst file, I thought I would ask if there is a smart way to do it. I am using Outlook 2007.

Previously, I have installed office, then when I start Outlook, it creates a pst file. I find the pst file and replace it with the pst file I copied from the old machine. As I recall this has always been problematic.

What is the smarter method?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: PST file

Post by HansV »

See Moving Outlook 2010 to a new Windows computer. It should apply to Outlook 2007 too.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I get the new system set up including the new PST file.
I then copy the old PST to a thumb drive and then import it to the NEW PST file.
This works also when installing a newer version of Outlook on the new machine, but importing a older version from the old machine.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Here is my concern - when I install Outlook and set up my email accounts, the PST file it creates will be empty then when Outlook sends/receives email (almost immediately upon account creation), the emails will load from the server (POP) and be in the PST. Then, when I import the PST, will it overwrite the existing PST or will I end up with two PSTs? Is it better to import the PST prior to creating any email accounts?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you import, you will import into the new .pst. You can specify whether duplicates will be overwritten or not.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

As HansV stated, the data is imported not the file replacing the new new one. If you copy the PST file from the Old machine, set up the new machine with Outlook, then do the import, things will be fine. UNLESS you go to the Old machine and fire up Outlook, the you will not be able to get the downed messages to the new. machine.

What I do, is I change the settings in Outlook on the OLD machine, to leave files on the server, close Outlook, make the copy of the PST file. Now, if I need to go back into Outlook on the old machine, and the email will still be on the server(s) for the new machine to be downloaded.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I appreciate all the help. I thought I really messed things up though. I installed Outlook without creating any email accounts, then went to file import... found the PST file to import and selected to replace duplicates. Where I went wrong, I believe is that the dialog box asked if I want to import to the current folder or Personal Folders. I selected personal folders although I could see that the current Personal Folder was already selected by Outlook. As a result, a second Personal Folder and complete set of folders from my old PST appeared in the list.

I solved by removing that PST file then importing again but importing into the Current Folder. All is good now.
Don