pst file

dasadler
5StarLounger

pst file

Post by dasadler »

Well, it finally happened to me. Someone broke into the house and took my computer. Fortunately, I had most everything backed up including my Outlook pst file.

My wife gave me her laptop which has Outlook 2007 so I created a new profile 'Don' and deleted the pst file that was created by Outlook. Then I copied the pst file from my backup into the appropriate file location.

All my contacts, mail, notes, & calendar came in fine but as I looked the rules they all have "(for other machine)" next to the rule name and are not working automatically. Also, I thought the pst file contained all the email account info like servers, setting, etc. Apparently they don't since my accounts are empty.

Is there a smarter way to activate a backed up pst file? Is there a way to remove the (for other machine) from the rules so they are for this machine?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: pst file

Post by HansV »

Sheesh... I feel for you.

The e-mail accounts aren't stored in the .pst file; they are stored in the Windows registry. You will have to create them again from scratch.

Select Tools | Rules and Alerts.
Select a rule.
Click Change Rule, then Edit Rule Settings...
In Step 1, scroll down the list of conditions.
If the check box "On this computer only" is ticked, clear it.
Click Finish.
The "(for other machine)" should be gone now.
Repeat for the other rules.

Another, perhaps easier way:
Select Tools | Rules and Alerts...
Click Options.
Export your rules.
Delete all rules.
Import the rules from the .rwz file that you exported.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Re: pst file

Post by dasadler »

Thank you Hans. Another thing I learned is that I needed to have all my accounts set up first or the rules don't work that associated with certain accounts.
Don