Outlook 2010: tell User_A that User_B has had a message

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 2010: tell User_A that User_B has had a message

Post by John Gray »

Exchange 2007 + Outlook 2010

We have a problem where user_A is usually logged on to her PC, but she wants to be told if User_B receives an incoming external email, so she can log off from User_A and log on to User_B to answer it. (No, there isn't room for two PCs, screens, keyboards, mice, etc...!)

I've looked through the Outlook Rules setup, but the only action which seems relevant (if complete overkill) is to Forward the incoming Email to User_B on to User_A.

I'd be happier just to send a message to User_A, "User_B received an external exmail at <date> <time>", or something equivalent. It doesn't happen too often.

Has anyone previously solved this 'opportunity', or have any Bright Ideas of an easy and fairly non-intrusive way of conveying this information from User_B to User_A?

Thanks!

PS Would "Delegation" be appropriate? But any reply message must come from User_B...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Outlook 2010: tell User_A that User_B has had a message

Post by JoeP »

You can have multiple Exchange accounts in an Outlook 2010 profile. Why not just add the "User B" account to the "User A" profile? You have a default account for sending email but can select a different account from which an email is sent.Then, do a test. Send an email to "User B". When "User B" receives the test email try sending from the "User B" account to an some external email address that does not matter. If that does not provide the results then create another profile for "User B". When the "User B" account gets an email which requires action "User A" can shut down Outlook and restart with the "User B" profile.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Joe - I'll look at this idea on Monday!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've had a quick look, and discovered that I've never before met an Outlook "profile", so more work needed.

Not surprisingly, Delegation seems to mean that any messages from the User_B mailbox which are being replied to by user_A originate from User_A, which is not what's wanted.
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

User A should be able to add User B's Exchange account through the Mail or Mail (32 bit) control panel, or through File > Info, Add Account in Outlook itself.
When sending or replying, there will be an account dropdown to select the sender account.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I think I have got part of the way by using "delegate", with the problem described above. When I can get to access this userid, I will try to add User_B's mailbox.
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've got considerably further, and it works -ish.

Of course, further and better user requirements appear:
a) when the User_B mailbox is clicked, then the User_B@domain.com account should be selected for email sending
b) the signatures appropriate for User_B should be used for New, Reply and Forward

More work needed when I can get near the accounts again...
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think new messages will use the "default" account (but it's possible to select another account). Not sure if it's possible to switch automatically.
When replying or forwarding, Outlook will use the account associated with the mailbox, so if User A replies to a message in User B's inbox, User B will be in the From box.

It's possible to set signatures for each account, in File | Options, Mail, Signatures.
For each account, you can specify one signature as default for new messages, and another signature as default for replying and forwarding, under Choose Default Signature.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I'm having trouble with permissions and getting the signatures to come up for each type of message (New, reply. Forward_), and apparently I don't have permission yet to reply to User_B's messages. Just needs some time (first thing tomorrow) when nobody is harassing me to give their userid back!
John Gray

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've found delegation to be a big pain. I've added an account in the manner Hans and I described and it seems to work well.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, I gave up on delegation hours ago!

I'm working with the Hans' solution, but, as I say, there is a lot of faffing around with permissions and signatures and the like. So far it's working, a bit.
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

As far as I can tell I have now got everything working as required, although it does seem to take a fruther minute to download all the information for User_B's mail folders into User_A's Outlook on Outlook startup.

And while in User_B, granting permissions for User_A to process User_B's emails. I found I had to grant permission for almost every folder and sub-folder individually. Is there no way to grant permissions for "the whole account"? If I missed any I was getting empty folders called "Contacts1" and "Contacts2", and the like.

Anyway, thanks to Joe and Hans, I seem to have a good system for our specific situation
I now find That I also have to do this so that User_C can also work on User B's folders,
and have been given a mirror situation where both User_X and User_Z can work on User_Y's folders!

Time to quote the old saying:
You know something is useful when people want it changed...
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Exchange administrator should be able to create a group of users who all have full access to a specific Exchange account.
Best wishes,
Hans