Outlook Contacts "Filing"

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Outlook Contacts "Filing"

Post by Bigaldoc »

I use Outlook 2010 for Contact list. To my knowledge I've not changed any settings lately. I have a particular method for entering DOCTORS in my contact list and been doing it this way for a long time. In the full name field I enter "Dr. First Last."

Usually when I hit the tab key the "file as" field displays Last, Dr. First. But yesterday I was adding a contact for a surgeon I recently visited and the entry came out like this (dummy name for illustration here):
2012-07-01_095119.png
My previous entries look like this:
2012-07-01_094818.png
Just for illustration, my contacts settings contains the default and I haven't changed anything:
2012-07-01_095805.png
I had to go back and manually add the "Dr." but does anyone know what could be causing this "new" behavior?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook Contacts "Filing"

Post by HansV »

If I enter "Dr Joe Smith", Outlook interprets "Dr Joe" as first name and "Smith" as last name, and hence the File as: name becomes "Smith, Dr Joe".
But if I enter "Dr. Joe Smith", Outlook interprets "Dr." as title, "Joe" as first name and "Smith" as last name, and hence the File as: name becomes "Smith, Joe".
I can click Full Name... to remove "Dr." from the Title box and add it to the First box. When I click OK, the File as: name changes to "Smith, Dr. Joe".
I don't see an option to include the Title in the File as: name.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

So I immediately spotted in your analysis that the absence of the "period" (full stop?) might be the answer. But I just tried a sample and it doesn't matter if I enter Dr or Dr. as Outlook seems to put them in the title field.

Hmmm, more Googling needed on this one. Thanks Hans.

Added: What surprises me is that I've got a number of contacts that I've entered in the past as Dr. and Outlook hasn't done this before now. In truth, I can't remember how many of them were transported from my OLD Palm or Google contacts and how many I've added since I've had Outlook.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As I mentioned, I don't see an option to add the title ("Dr.") to the File as: name by default, and Googling didn't turn up a way to do that either...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Confirmed and thanks again.

Microsoft Outlook MVP Diane says in this thread that the list of titles is un-touchable (I'd like to remove Dr.) and I'm stuck with it.

What happened to the "Dr."???