Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane

jmt356
SilverLounger

Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane

Post by jmt356 »

I'd like to mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane for 2 seconds and also when a selection changes. Under the Options | Other | Reading Pane dialogue, I can choose either "Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane" or "Mark item as read when selection changes." Is there any way to choose both? Also, when either one is selected, emails that are read in the reading pane do not appear to become unread; I actually need to open the item for it to appear read. Also, when either one is selected, unread emails do not become marked as read when I change the selection. Why is this?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane

Post by HansV »

The options "Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane" and "Mark item as read when selection changes" are mutually exclusive - at most one of them can be turned on, not both.
If neither of the check boxes works, there may be a problem with your Outlook installation.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Should I uninstall and reinstall?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could try that, or do a repair installation. But I have no idea whether it will solve the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Actually, I just restarted Windows and now "Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane" works.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that - it's always a good idea to restart the computer to see if the problem vanishes spontaneously, before taking drastic measures.
Best wishes,
Hans