Unsuccessful In Trying To Install DuckDuckGo Browser

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Unsuccessful In Trying To Install DuckDuckGo Browser

Post by hlewton »

On one of my Windows 11 Pro Machines I cannot get DDG installed. It gives the error you can see in the attachment. I searched for the problem and found an apparent fix for Windows 10 and was going to try it for my Win 11 machine. It said to install App Installer package from the Microsoft store. I followed the link https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9nblg ... n-us&gl=US and clicked on Install. It took me to the MS Store, I believe, but from there I didn't see anything to click to install. I tested the DDG installer again in case the App Installer Package happened to install and I didn't know it but got the same error.

I even used the copy of the DDG installer that was used and successfully installed DDG on another Win 11 machine but got the exact same error message. Any ideas on how I can get the DDG browser installed?
DDG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unsuccessful In Trying To Install DuckDuckGo Browser

Post by HansV »

Go to App Installer and click the Install button.

S2518.png

Then try installing the DuckduckGo browser again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 23:15
Go to App Installer and click the Install button.

S2518.png

Then try installing the DuckduckGo browser again.
Hans, that is exactly what I did. When I clicked that Install button it took me to Microsoft's store and there I saw no Install button. I will try it again and try to get a screen shot of it. Because after I clicked that Install button and didn't know it it actually installed, I did try to install DDG again and got the same error but, I will give it another try.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Here is what I get. Notice in the attachment in the upper left-hand corner that clicking that install button took me to the Microsoft store. There I don't find any way to click an Install button.
MSSTORE.jpg
I once again, tried to install DDG after clicking that Install button in the above link and got the same error message, as can be seen in this attachment again.
DDG.jpg
Also, once I read about the App Installer I went to the Microsoft Store and searched for it there first before clicking that link that lead me to it. I didn't find it in the Microsoft Store by searching for it there. Below is what came up for me when I searched for it at the Microsoft Store. There was a long list of items, but no App Installer that I saw.
Installer.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HAve you tried downloading the browser from https://duckduckgo.com/app
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 11:49
Not sure but I will now and report back. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 11:49
Yep it does the same thing and it also appears that is where I originally got it. Here is what I found so far and need advise because it is beyond me.

This is a part of a post that I found when searching on the error I get when trying to install DDG:
I had some of the same problems, myself. I'm not exactly sure what I did to solve them, but here's the current state of my installation:
1. The program's executable file is in this directory: "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application"
2. That directory has two executable files. One is "chrome.exe." When I click on this, I get the Google Chrome browser. The other is "chrome_proxy.exe." When I click on this, I get the DuckDuckGo Browser for Windows.
I suspect ... I think ... that the "install" process put that "proxy" file in place. And, then, my efforts to execute that file either sent me to the Google Chrome browser ... or back to the "install" page for the DDG browser, which invites you to download the browser (and does nothing else of any use).
Here is what I found when looking at the machine that DDG works on versus the one where I cannot get DDG installed. On the machine where DDG works, if I follow the path listed above I find the "chrome_proxy.exe." However, when double clicking it, it opens Chrome, not DDG.

On the machine where I cannot get DDG installed in following the above path you have to change the "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application" to "C:\Program Files(86)\Google\Chrome\Application" to find "chrome_proxy.exe." Double clicking it also opens another instance of Google Chrome. I don't know why one Google Chrome is 32 Bit and the other, where DDG works is 64 Bit. But could that be a problem and if I tried to reinstall Chrome would there be an option to install the 64 Bit version?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My Windows 11 system stores DuckDuckGo.exe in the location
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DuckDuckGo.DesktopBrowser_0.71.0.0_x64__ya2fgkz3nks94\WindowsBrowser
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 16:53
My Windows 11 system stores DuckDuckGo.exe in the location
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DuckDuckGo.DesktopBrowser_0.71.0.0_x64__ya2fgkz3nks94\WindowsBrowser
For some reason I am denied access to WindowsApps even though I am supposed to have administrator privileges on this computer> I click the dialog box to gain access but get into an area where I don't want to mess anything up. I did find it though using a search, please see attachment. It is very similar to what you found.
Folder.jpg
Apparently others are having the same problem and so far there doesn't seem to be any solution. Maybe someday, but so far some have tried installing DuckDuckGo.mixbundle, whatever that is only to have the same or worse results.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:08
For some reason I am denied access to WindowsApps even though I am supposed to have administrator privileges on this computer...
Your are denied access by design. The WindowsApp folder is where modern apps are 'sandboxed 'from everything in the system. This which makes them more secure compared to other desktop programs. It's the future of installations.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 18:29
hlewton wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:08
For some reason I am denied access to WindowsApps even though I am supposed to have administrator privileges on this computer...
Your are denied access by design. The WindowsApp folder is where modern apps are 'sandboxed 'from everything in the system. This which makes them more secure compared to other desktop programs. It's the future of installations.

Ken
Thank you. I guess I shouldn't worry about trying to gain access to it. Actually I thought I had access to every folder on my machines, but I guess that's not the case, again, thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 18:36
....I thought I had access to every folder on my machines, but I guess that's not the case, again, thanks.
I don't know for sure but I don't think that's ever been the case, I think MS have always limited access to some (Windows) system folders. As you have already discovered though, you can get access to the WindowsApps folder if you really want.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Can you create a shortcut to DuckDuckGo.exe in that folder, and try running the browser from that
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 21:59
Can you create a shortcut to DuckDuckGo.exe in that folder, and try running the browser from that
It's not on the machine that I can't install it on. I can already run DDG on that machine.
Regards,
hlewton