Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

Post by agibsonsw »

Okay, I've corrected the 'small' issues I mentioned.

If you click AndysButton and then refresh the GoSearch10 page that opens it won't now add the site you just added a second time.
If you click AndysButton2 it won't allow you add a site that you've already added to the exclude list - and it will remind you of this.

Bob: I revised the iFrame version as well (GoSearchi.html). If you want to use AndyButton (the first one) with this page then you'll need to edit the HTML of AndyButton and change GoSearch10.html to GoSearchi.html.

I didn't change it to GoSearch11, etc., as this should be a minor change. Besides, 10 is a nice number :smile: Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Chris,
There is a search plugin, DeeperWeb for Google, that lets you add and exclude keywords, sites, domains etc. very quickly, after the initial search. One can also try a search at their page: http://deeperweb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
You click on the words in a "cloud" (DeeperCloud) in the pane to include (there is also a minus sign to exclude); there are different tabs: Tags, Phrases, Sites and Zones.
DW_A.PNG
(There is also a little article at wikip: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeeperWeb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

(Apart from that it also searches in some different areas; News search, Blog Search, Answer Search etc. also shown in the pane to the right, but it's possible to hide them.)

It can not, as far as I know, save certain search preferences, as those you've been discussing earlier. But it can speed up the search process a bit, I guess; especially for those that can't remember the search operators.

I have no problem using search operators, but tested it. It doesn't work with your "test search"; since the site you want to exclude, isn't among the top included in the DeeperCloud, at least in the first search result. That is, in that case you have to type it yourself.

But it is a great disadvantage that you have only a few alternatives to select among, even though the DeeperCloud is updated as you search. Another, even greater, drawback is that sometimes it takes time for the DeeperCloud to update after a search, if it ever does.

I also found, though I only did some quick tests, that it had some difficulties if you excluded one site and then decided to include it again. As soon as one click exclude on a site Google does a search with that operator and keyword, and then it's gone from the cloud, obviously.

As I see it one can then edit the search box, remove the operator and do a new search, and then the cloud is updated, or, press the back key/button, and use DeeperWeb again. But Google is a bit wonky now, it sometimes removes the search terms if you move backwards (I know that it's possible to retrieve them with ctrl-z).

I guess the main advantage with this software is finding keywords to use, not sites to include or exclude. But since it does that, and quite well with a point-and-click-approach, I thought it worth mentioning in this thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved a sequence of posts about Firefox 4 beta to the Beta Software forum, see Open links in new tab in Firefox 4 beta.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I have moved a sequence of posts about Firefox 4 beta to the Beta Software forum, see Open links in new tab in Firefox 4 beta.
Maybe the whole thread should be moved to Beta Forums or at least a new one started here.
I for one, have lost the entire train of thought from the OP, and have given up trying to follow it. :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:
HansV wrote:I for one, have lost the entire train of thought from the OP,
Me too, Bob.
I think Andy had "lost it" a few days ago hah hah hah!

Actually I've had to spend time working so I've been "out of it" for a couple of days. This evening if noone is taking me out for supper i should get back into it.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Sorry for the length of this thread and the number of revisions. 'GoSearch10a.zip' contains my completed work and I won't revise it unless anyone points out an error (no one's found any so far..).
In summary:
Store AndysButton2.html and GoSearch10.html in a sub-folder. Then add them as Bookmarks and to your Bookmarks toolbar.
When surfing if you come across a site that you wish to exclude from a future Google search then click AndysButton2 and type (or paste) the web site address into the prompt box that appears. You will be immediately returned to the page you were on.
Later, when you click GoSearch10, a search page will open with your excluded sites already listed (and ticked to be excluded).
You can enter search terms and pressing 'Go Search' will perform a Google search without searching the sites you have excluded.

Within my search page you can also add words you wish to exclude from a search, or tick to only search within a particular named site. You call also manage your excluded site list, by adding to it, modifying the title/description of the site or deleting a site from the list.

This works for Firefox. To use Google Chrome you will need to add '--enable-file-cookies' (without the apostrophes) to the end of your shortcut for this program.
GoSearch10 works with Internet Explorer, but to use my buttons you will need to change some security setting(s) to enable Javascript prompts. I haven't discovered the precise setting(s) as yet though.

A brief guide will be available.. soon-ish. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

If anyone wants to use AndysButton or (2) in Internet Explorer I've discovered that it's not a setting that's causing the problem so much as the code:

Code: Select all

var q = window.getSelection ? window.getSelection() : document.getSelection ? document.getSelection() 
		: document.selection.createRange().text); 
IE is not happy with this line (haven't tested which part of it yet) but this line is no longer relevant anyway so can be removed. If anyone wants the revised code for these buttons let me know :smile:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I suspect that it's asking too much to have them not appear in the list of Google hits, ...
Last week, Google introduced an extenSion to its Chrome system allowing users to create personal lists of sites they want blocked during a search

Way to go, Our Andrew!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I still use my page regularly for searches, but I've since built a JavaScript library to rival jQuery :) Fast sorting, DOM methods, date parsing, etc..

(I've been a bit JavaScript obsessed since my initial 'small' hint. I've created closures but haven't yet achieved closure myself!)

Andy,

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:I still use my page regularly for searches,
Are you open for a list of suggestions, questions? Or is the project somewhat stabilized?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

You could try :)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I'd love a button that would let me harvest the root url of such sites and add them to a list of "Don't let me go there".
As is so often the case Eileen's Lounge leads the way:

Google to allow you to hide or block sites you dont like, from anywhere

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please not that the ability to block sites is only available if you're logged in to Google with a Google user ID (for example as a Gmail user).
Some people may not like being logged in while they search.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I logged in, and I changed my Google preferences to not open search results in a new window so that I could use the back button, but I still can't see this functionality.

Is there some way to enable/disable it?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

While being logged in to your Google account, click the Tools button in the upper right corner of the Google search page, then Search Settings.
x788.png
Scroll down to the bottom. If the feature is available to you, there will be a link Manage Blocked Sites.
x789.png
You can block and unblock sites:
x790.png
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I can see the blocked sites option in the settings.

I don't see a prompt to add a site to the blocked list when I hit the back button to return to a search, as described in the article that Chris Greaves linked to,
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps they roll out the feature in parts, although that seems unlikely...
x791.png
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I swear that wasn't there before, but I can see it now!!!
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Yeah but Google's version is not as pretty as mine :fanfare:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:Yeah but Google's version is not as pretty as mine :fanfare:
ABSOLUTELY!