Streaming Video Not Working

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Streaming Video Not Working

Post by Bigaldoc »

I recently updated to the latest 3.6.13 version and now streaming video no longer works. I've been through and through my settings to see what may have gotten changed in the update and can't find anything.

I often watch live or replay of sporting events on http://espn.go.com/espn3/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It worked before 3.6.13 and STILL WORKS in IE, so something in Fx has changed. Can anyone suggest something for me to look for, please? Thanks...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Streaming Video Not Working

Post by HansV »

It appears to work for me in Firefox 3.6.13, after I have allowed lots of sites (I'm using NoScript), but I'd have to sign up to actually watch anything.
x428.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Here in the USA there is no charge as long as your ISP subscribes and mine (Insight) does. As I said, it worked up until I updated to 3.6.13 and now, when I select an event, it goes this far: It opens a somewhat smaller window as usual, starts loading my selected event and gets to the following screen and stops. Nothing further and I've waited awhile to see if it was network speed, but no luck. When I get this display, the bottom right corner says "Done."
2010-12-19_092557.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Confirming that in IE it's working just fine, leading to my conclusion that it's a Firefox problem.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps someone in the USA can test it for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Hans, but in case this bites someone else, I found it.

Don't have any idea why, but it was a Java problem. I went to the Java web site and downloaded Java and installed it. The ESPN3 streaming is now working OK.

I don't remember what the version was that I had installed, but as I said it worked until I updated Fx. What I downloaded just now has this in its properties (the installer):

File Version: 6.0.230.70

Full Version: 1.6.0_23-b70

Who knows...

EDITED: I should have included, to save others the search: Download Free Java Software (Version 6, Update 23)
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 19 Dec 2010, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing the solution!
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know if this is related or not and if I find out it IS I'll post about it:

I was asked by a former co-worker friend (on Facebook) for help in printing emails from her Yahoo webmail account. She said she just updated Firefox and now can't print emails from Yahoo webmail, BUT CAN do so from IE.

I tested MY Yahoo mail and printing works OK for me, so ...

I suggested she also try the Java re-install as I did 'cause it won't hurt and might help. When I hear from her, I'll post here.