Firefox 3.6.12 and 3.5.15 released

HansV
Administrator

Firefox 3.6.12 and 3.5.15 released

Post by HansV »

These updates fix a critical security issue. They are available through the built-in update feature.

The release of Firefox 4 has been postponed until next year (2011).
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Firefox 3.6.12 and 3.5.15 released

Post by Bigaldoc »

Because I don't like auto updaters, I had never used it for Firefox, but I tried just now for the heck of it. The updater said I'd have to close Fx (which WAS running) and it would be installed when Fx restarts. I said OK to that, Fx closed and then I got this error:
2010-10-28_073215.png
I guess I'll continue manual download which I prefer because I have three OSs to take care of and like to keep a copy of software on my drive.

Firefox Browser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

It has always worked for me. Did you check in TaskManager to make sure there were no other instances of Firefox running?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you have to install on several PCs/OSs it is more efficient to download and save the update.

I assume that the failure was just a glitch - the built-in updater has always worked fine for me (I do have to allow it to restart Firefox).
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif: Yes, first thing I did and there were no other instances. I was also looking to see if any app was "hogging" CPU and it was 98% free.

Hans: I'm sure you're correct that it was a momentary glitch probably caused by some other app. After closing the error box my auto-hiding task bar or start menu would not show so I had to use task manager to restart. When the system rebooted, lo and behold the Fx updater started running and installed the latest. Who knows... Just another one of those "things" I guess.

But I do think I'll continue downloading manually so I can update my other two OSs.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

It was a painless update for me. (The weight bench is fixed.)
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:a momentary glitch
My guess is that the installer didn't allow long enough between closing FF and before it started poking around with updating FF. I've noticed on numerous occasions that if I close FF, usually accidentally, and then restart instantly, FF won't reload. If I check in Task Manager I'll find a FF process running, when I kill that it works properly again.

Ken