why this error

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

why this error

Post by Dave Davison »

New anomaly...when I click the "Start" key then select the firefox internet tab my Home Page opens with a persistent tab saying "Problem loading page". If I click on the said tab the attached message appears. I have scanned the system with Avira but nothing suspect was found. Advice please. Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: why this error

Post by HansV »

See Mozilla Port Blocking for an explanation. What page are you actually trying to load?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Hans...I am not trying to load any page in particular ...I don't get that far... the error message "Problem loading page" appears as soon as the home page opens. Just to say the message only occurs when using Firefox as my browser, not when using IE. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What does the General tab of Tools | Options... in Firefox look like?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Dave Davison wrote:Hi Hans...I am not trying to load any page in particular ...I don't get that far... the error message "Problem loading page" appears as soon as the home page opens. Just to say the message only occurs when using Firefox as my browser, not when using IE. Regards Dave.
I think this is what Hans is pursuing in his latest question, but you ARE trying to open a page - whatever your home page URL is.

Would you copy and paste a graphic of the screen that Hans just asked about, please?

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

SORRY Al if I appear dull but the upper screen shot of the attachment is in fact my home page which appears when I log on to the net and already shows the "Problem loading page" error before I try to access any web site. I am not attempting to access another web site, just logging on to the web. Hope that makes sense?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

You appear to have (accidentally) clicked on the 'Use Current Pages' at some time - Firefox is trying to load multiple pages on startup.

Edit your Home Page to just:

http://www.google.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I hope Leif's suggestion clears it up for you, Dave. I also get an error if I try to access the EXACT URL contained in your graphic, but then again I'm not in the UK so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Keep us posted on what happens when you try Leif's suggestion.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, I agree that you have a problem with the Home Page URL. I don't think second address - the one after the | symbol - including http://pg:1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is NOT valid and the browser hangs trying to service that address then displays the message.

You can set Firefox to load multiple pages in tabs by using the "|" symbol to separate the urls. I have about 8 that open each time I start Fx. The downside is that the url syntax must be correct.

Try erasing everything from the right end back to and including the |. The error should go away.

If you are expecting a second page to appear in a tab, enter the URL then select and copy everything that appears in the browser's URL entry panel after that page is displayed. Then open your options, type in a | then place your cursor immediately after it (no space), then paste in the URL you copied then save your options changes (I think you click the OK button, IIRC). Then restart FX and see if you don't get two tabs with the first URL in your options fully displayed with a second tab showing the name or URL of the second URL in the string.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks everyone for your responses...I did as Leif suggested and the error tab disappeared. I had tried changing the home page default but that did not seem to make any difference. However, I have now changed it to read http://www.google.co.uk/firefox and it seems to be back to normal. Again thanks a bunch. Dave.