Managing Firefox Profiles

BobH
UraniumLounger

Managing Firefox Profiles

Post by BobH »

In trying to resolve an issue with Roboform, their help desk instructed me to create a new profile and start Firefox anew using that profile. I did as instructed but, as it turned out, I didn't really need to do that - for shame Roboform Support - so now I have the profile I saved before doing was instructed and the new profile. It seems Fx uses the newer profile when it starts.

I've tried to find out how to revert to the old, saved profile without success. I keep running into mixed examples that serve only to confuse me (which seems to be getting easier with each passing week). I have verified that the saved profile exists. I can see it (I think) when I enter about:profiles, along with several others.

I have run today with the new profile after futzing with favorites and bookmarks and lions and tigers and bears . . . oh my! I really want to just go back to the profile that I saved because I have lost a bunch of add-ons that made my browsing life so much easier. I didn't save a list of all those add-ons and cannot remember them all as they were added over time as needs arose.

I've not dared to delete the newly created profile lest the old profile that I saved not be loaded upon restarting the browser. I THINK I need to make the old one the default browser and possibly need to rename it, but I haven't been able to find answers to those questions.

Does anyone know if reverting to a saved profile is possible in Firefox? If so, can you point me to a wiki that will explain how to do so in a straightforward manner?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Managing Firefox Profiles

Post by HansV »

Start Firefox.
Type about:profilesin the address bar and press Enter.
The properties of each profile will be listed.
The first property is Default profile. This will be set yo yes for the new profile and to no for the old one.
Under the old one, you should see a button Set as default profile.
Click this button.
Finally, quit and restart Firefox.

S2402.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Managing Firefox Profiles

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

Just what I needed.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs