Firefox 3.6.9 & 3.5.12 released plus a new beta

TonyE
3StarLounger

Firefox 3.6.9 & 3.5.12 released plus a new beta

Post by TonyE »

Mozilla have released 3 new versions of Firefox today.

The first 2 are a security/stability updates for release versions of Firefox.
Firefox 3.6.9 available from http://www.mozilla.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firefox 3.6.9 Release Notes

For those still using the Firefox 3.5 branch, there is Firefox 3.5.12 available from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firefox 3.5.12 Release Notes

The final Firefox release today is for those who want to beta test the next major release of Firefox.
Firefox 4 beta 5 is available from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/beta/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firefox 4 Beta 5 Release Notes
There are many changes since Firefox 3.6, especially for those on Windows Vista and Windows 7, if you decide to install the beta be sure to read the release notes first. It is also recommended to use a different profile for the Firefox 4 beta, and keep your previous version of Firefox in case you need to use the older version.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 3.6.9 & 3.5.12 released plus a new beta

Post by HansV »

Thanks, got 3.6.9 through the built-in update mechanism.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know what the problem is but I installed 3.6.9 yesterday and my browser is crawling along very slowly ever since, not only here in The Lounge but elsewhere as well. I think I'm gonna close it now and empty the cache to see if that helps.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't know what the problem is but I installed 3.6.9 yesterday and my browser is crawling along very slowly ever since, not only here in The Lounge but elsewhere as well. I think I'm gonna close it now and empty the cache to see if that helps.
No problem here. I'd cross-check by browsing with IE - it may be a general connection issue.
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Good point, Leif. I'll go try that now. I cleared my cache AND turned off any addons except the latest java and whatever java quickstarter is (I don't remember installing that one). Didn't help. It took several seconds for this post reply window to open and I tried several other sites that I think are without ads 'cause I know ads can be a real slowdown.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

No problem here. Updated as Hans, and most, I guess (via the built-in update mechanism). But at first I got a "bad" connection that crawled at 20 kbit/s and eventually stopped. Restarts of the download process didn't help, it seems to try at the old address, and after a few restarts of the browser it finally downloaded (at some point Fx cleaned the update folder and removed the "download pending" status in the menu).

Other than that I notice no changes; had some "plug-in crash" with the fairly new "container" taking care of it; I have only seen that once or twice before. I don't know, but the whole 3.x branch seems less stable than 2.x.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif, I think you pointed in the right direction. Same thing with IE - even worse! My homepage in IE is my ISP's web site and it wouldn't completely load at all. Stopped it and tried loading Facebook which did load but slowly.

It may well be something in my internet connectivity because I also tried running a couple of apps on the local PC and they seem to operate quite rapidly, even Open Office Writer which opens in about 2-3 seconds.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bigaldoc wrote:...and tried loading Facebook which did load but slowly.
See? A blessing in disguise :laugh:
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think it IS something fishy with my ISP but you can imagine how much luck I'd have if I call them. What I noticed this morning while I was messin' around was that the two "data" lights on my cable modem were blinking very, very slowly where they normally blink rather rapidly.

I also checked Task Manager and even with Fx running I saw 95-98% System Idle times. Seems to be very sporadic. As I came back here a couple of minutes ago, the lights were blinking in their normal way but now (again!) they've slowed down measurably. I bet when I hit the submit button I'll get a delayed post.

Sorry for the intrusion folks, it obviously ain't Firefox 3.6.9 !!!

TonyE
3StarLounger

Now at 3.6.10 & 3.5.13

Post by TonyE »

Mozilla made a couple of quick releases to fix a startup crash and block an add-on that was causing problems, 3.5.13 & 3.6.10 were released yesterday.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks - I didn't get the update from the internal update mechanism last night, but I do now.
Best wishes,
Hans