Bing Hi Jacked my home page

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Bing Hi Jacked my home page

Post by tomyrush »

Win XP - all fixes applied - current firefox

Not sure how it happened - but Bing Hijacked my home page.

I read how to recover and followed instructions, but once I terminated firefox and then restarted firefox - Bing was back in control

how do I get rid of this wanna be Google?

Tom

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Bing Hi Jacked my home page

Post by viking33 »

tomyrush wrote:Win XP - all fixes applied - current firefox

Not sure how it happened - but Bing Hijacked my home page.

I read how to recover and followed instructions, but once I terminated firefox and then restarted firefox - Bing was back in control

how do I get rid of this wanna be Google?

Tom
I don't use Firefox and don't know if this what you tried but check this site on how to remove Bing and restore Firefox to what is used to be?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5196325_remove- ... -used.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Windows XP forum to the Firefox forum since it's not a Windows problem but a Firefox one as far as I can tell.
Best wishes,
Hans

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I don't want anything changed except to get rid of Bing as my home page in Firefox- I tried the solution mentioned and it did not do anything.

I tried to uninstall bing using the revo uninstaller, but that didn't do any thing - it could not find Bing

Tom

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Try this.

To the left of your Bing entry panel (third row at top right) there should be a small icon with a down pointing triangle. Click on the triangle cum arrow and drop down box appears. The last entry in the the drop down menu is Manage Search Engines. Select this and you will see all the search engines Firefox knows about and you should be able to select bing and remove it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I am using this to get rid of Bing

I found it was the updates that put bing as default
so I uninstalled the updates. To do so
Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
Restart system
tom

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I have tried everything mentioned - even so far as removing IE8.

I got rid of Bing as a search engine for firefox, but it still has taken over my home page (CNN)

I am going to bed and will attack this again tomorrow morning.

Any technique to completely trash Bing and IE8 will be appreciated.

To hell with MS and their terrible software I Just installed Open Office and if I can get rid of IE and Bing, my next move probably will be to go totally to linux!

Tom

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I feel your pain, brother!

You can get rid of IE by using Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and choosing Add/Remove Windows Components and following the wizard. CAUTION: If you remove IE you will not be able to download updates from Microsofat. For that reason, I leave IE installed on my WinXP system but use it only for update downloads.

As far as the hijack of your home page in Firefox, use Tools/Options and the General tab. You will see an option there to set the URL for your home page. You can type it in or copy and paste it.

TIP: You can put multiple URLs in the homepage panel in Options and each one will open in a different tab when you start Firefox. The URLs must be separated by what I call the 'pipe' character,| (because I don't know what else to call it). It is the character on the shifted forward slash - to the right of the right brace on the third row of keys from the bottom of the QWERTY keyboard.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

Thanks - It helps to get a good night's sleep and then start fresh
Once I looked at tools / options it became evident - it was a gaming page I stumbled into some time this week - Bing was on it's tool bar and that got into my home page address. I got rid of it and everything is ok now; however - I still want to get rid of Bing - I got it out of the firefox search engines, but I still can't find out how to completely delete it - evidently ms hid it deep in IE to keep people from getting rid of it.
If anyone knows how to "Kill Bing" let me know
Thanks
Tom

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bing, like Google, is a search engine. You can delete it from the list of search engines used by your browser, but it'd be kind of hard to completely delete Bing, you'd need to hack Microsoft's servers... :grin:
What exactly do you mean by "completely delete Bing"?
Best wishes,
Hans

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I suppose it was unrequited rage that made me want to delete it. I will admit it - I am a total ms hater. At this point the only reason I have IE is for the "Patch Tuesday" updates.
I have almost completely changed over to Open Office except for minor problems with *.pps files (can't make the Open Office play sounds associated with the *.pps files).
Believe it or not - I did like Outlook, but over the last month or so - Outlook has gotten really flaky - I keep getting the "Program has quit responding" error - sometimes it is almost impossible to kill it and I have to reboot.

Thanks for help
Tom

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

These problems that you are having are not really MS problems, most appear to be conflicting third party programs that you have that wants to control things.
I have been using Office way before it was called Office, Word for DOS version 2, and then on to the Windows versions.
I started with Outlook 95 and have been using since, all issues that I have had were because of some other programs that wanted to take control, including Open Office when I tried it.

Bing did not hi jack your system some other program changed things and you were not watching what was going to happen or was happening and the changes were made. Some of these software providers get paid to add things to ones system when their software is installed. Most do provide a option NOT to install or change things. I even still get the option to install Open Office sometimes from a Adobe update.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

tomyrush wrote:I suppose it was unrequited rage that made me want to delete it. At this point the only reason I have IE is for the "Patch Tuesday" updates.
Either during the install of IE8 or the first run (i can't remember which it has been a while since I've installed IE8), you get the opportunity to set many IE & system options. One slection is exress and another is custom. If you don't pay a lot of attention to express you'll end up with things you don't like. If you select custom you have much more control.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

JoeP wrote:Either during the install of IE8 or the first run (i can't remember which it has been a while since I've installed IE8), you get the opportunity to set many IE & system options. One slection is exress and another is custom. If you don't pay a lot of attention to express you'll end up with things you don't like. If you select custom you have much more control.
Amen...Amen, Joe! ALWAYS select custom when there IS a choice. Ya never know...