How to force tabs open in the old way, at the end (Fx 3.6)

Argus
GoldLounger

How to force tabs open in the old way, at the end (Fx 3.6)

Post by Argus »

I thought I had a question about the new Firefox (Fx) 3.6 for a short while; when you open a new tab from inside another tab it doesn't open at the end of the "tab bar" (as in older versions), instead the new tab is opened next to the current tab, it's "parent".

Eh, but then a quick search gave me the answer:
  • Open the config page; type about:config in the address bar.
  • Find "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" with the help of the filter and change this to False.
So, I now, still, look forward to finding a question to ask, somewhere. :smile:
Last edited by Argus on 24 Jan 2010, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: How to force tabs open in the old way, at the end

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yeah, but for those of us who haven't migrated to 3.6 yet, it's nice that you found the answer yourself!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I was used to this behavior (new tabs opening next to the current one) in Internet Explorer, so I actually like it. But it's good to know that it can be changed according to one's preference.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:I was used to this behavior (new tabs opening next to the current one) in Internet Explorer, so I actually like it. But it's good to know that it can be changed according to one's preference.
Yes. I liked it in Windows 7 (IE8) and later when I installed IE8 on XP, grouping tabs in combination with colours.

But during the first day with Fx 3.6, some days ago, it was a bit annoying, since I usually set up my tabs at different places (as at the, eh, other place you know), for example 3 tabs [index page, profile, and new posts] and then I, as we all do, have other sites open, and went looking for a new tab at the end of the bar.

I will probably change it to the new behaviour when my MO is ready. :smile:

Sorry that I didn't mention the Fx version in the Subject, but I've edited, added version.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: How to force tabs open in the old way, at the end (Fx 3.6)

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:I thought I had a question about the new Firefox (Fx) 3.6 for a short while; when you open a new tab from inside another tab it doesn't open at the end of the "tab bar" (as in older versions), instead the new tab is opened next to the current tab, it's "parent".

Eh, but then a quick search gave me the answer:
  • Open the config page; type about:config in the address bar.
  • Find "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" with the help of the filter and change this to False.
So, I now, still, look forward to finding a question to ask, somewhere. :smile:
:thankyou: for this because I too had noticed it and hadn't gotten around to figuring it out soooo thanks for doing the leg work errrrr finger work for the solution :thumbup:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

P.S. cuidado!!!!!! I had a hearty laugh over this one hehe and my settings are changed now...truth or consequences anyone?????? so what did I do wrong??? Hint--had the wrong version open.... :bummer:

http://screencast.com/t/MzJlZjBjZDc
Last edited by Hey Jude on 25 Jan 2010, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Hey Jude wrote:P.S. cuidado!!!!!! I had a hearty laugh over this one hehe and my settings are changed now...truth or consequences anyone??????

The "void your warranty" warning was one of Mozilla's little jokes. For another one type about:mozilla in the address bar to bring up a quote from The Book of Mozilla. Yet another one, type about:robots in the address bar. They have a weird sense of humour at Mozilla.
Last edited by TonyE on 25 Jan 2010, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TonyE wrote:They have a weird sense of humour at Mozilla.
We used to call these "Easter Eggs"
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

TonyE wrote:For another one type about:mozilla in the address bar to bring up a quote from The Book of Mozilla. For another one type about:robots in the address bar.
Excellent! :laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

TonyE wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:P.S. cuidado!!!!!! I had a hearty laugh over this one hehe and my settings are changed now...truth or consequences anyone??????

The "void your warranty" warning was one of Mozilla's little jokes. For another one type about:mozilla in the address bar to bring up a quote from The Book of Mozilla. Yet another one, type about:robots in the address bar. They have a weird sense of humour at Mozilla.
I forgot about those as I hadn't done the about:config for quite awhile--The robot one is hilarious. Thanks Tony. Duhhhhh I had 3.5.7 open NOT 3.6 :bwaah: all is well good grief Charlie Brown :hairout: I have no intention of biting a shiny metal posterior :burnup:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

TonyE wrote:The "void your warranty" warning was one of Mozilla's little jokes. For another one type about:mozilla in the address bar to bring up a quote from The Book of Mozilla. Yet another one, type about:robots in the address bar. They have a weird sense of humour at Mozilla.
Thank you; the about:mozilla is engraved for any long time user of Netscape and Fx; but I had forgotten about the "robots", I have only tried it once since I moved to ver. 3, as Hans said, excellent. :laugh:

Now, I'm the OP, how about trying to stay on topic? :sarcasm: :laugh: