Firefox 3.6.4 testers wanted - edit - **now released **

TonyE
3StarLounger

Firefox 3.6.4 testers wanted - edit - **now released **

Post by TonyE »

Mozilla have made available a preview release of Firefox 3.6.4. Unlike previous minor upgrades which usually just contain security/stability updates, this version contains a new feature called out of process plugins. This new feature is only available in Windows and Linux versions, Mozilla are working on a Mac version.

In previous release versions of Firefox, if a plugin such as Adobe Flash crashes or freezes, it would crash or freeze Firefox. With Firefox 3.6.4 if a plugin crashes or freezes, it will not affect the rest of Firefox. You will be able to reload the page to restart the plugin and try again. By default this feature is only switched on for Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime and Microsoft Silverlight plugins.

If you would like to help Mozilla test the latest version, you can get it from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Though this is labelled as a beta version, the version offered there is a release candidate, which means providing no show-stopper bugs are found it will become the official Firefox 3.6.4 release.
For more information see Mozilla Firefox 3.6.4 Beta Release Notes.
If you find a problem you can report it to Mozilla using their feedback system, or if you have full, specific details you can file a bug report. (You need to register to file a bug report)

Firefox 3.6.4 is currently scheduled to be released on May 4th.

Edit: Released on 22nd June
Available from http://www.mozilla.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.4 Release Notes
Last edited by TonyE on 22 Jun 2010, 20:22, edited 3 times in total.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 3.6.4 testers wanted

Post by HansV »

What happened to 3.6.4? It's now a month after the release date that you mention, but I'm still at 3.6.3...
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

HansV wrote:What happened to 3.6.4? It's now a month after the release date that you mention, but I'm still at 3.6.3...
They are now up to the 6th release candidate build and are planning to release 3.6.4 in early June, Mozilla are currently reviewing 2 bug reports to see if they need to be fixed prior to the release of 3.6.4, the bugs relate to using the Flash plugin on 2 particular sites (CNET & a Japanese site).

Build 6 is available from the link in my original post.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update!
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Barring any last minute issues, Firefox 3.6.4 should be released later today, along with Firefox 3.5.10 and Seamonkey 2.0.5

For info, there will be no Firefox 3.6.5, the next version will be 3.6.6 which is scheduled for mid-late July.
Tony

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I am on the 3.6.4 beta which you pointed to originally, and the only problem I've come across is a Google redirect loop when attempting to sign on to a particular Google Group. But this might be entirely unrelated!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

TonyE wrote:Barring any last minute issues, Firefox 3.6.4 should be released later today.
Yep - the built-in updater offered it a short while ago, so I'm now on 3.6.4. Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Firefox 3.6.4 testers wanted - edit - **now released **

Post by PaulB »

Downloaded and installed 3.6.4 this evening. The issue(s) with Flash videos at Cnet TV are still there. The video portion (but not the audio) will cut out at some point during playback. Very inconsistent. A given video will play properly one time, then cut out part way through the next time. Will keep an eye on this. Also noticed some Flash video problems at the BBC news site.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

John Gray wrote:I am on the 3.6.4 beta which you pointed to originally, and the only problem I've come across is a Google redirect loop when attempting to sign on to a particular Google Group. But this might be entirely unrelated!
Try clearing the cookies for Google Groups, that should fix your problem.
Tony

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The problem I raised above with 3.6.4 turned out to be a false alarm. A reboot of the computer and consequent reload of Flash cleared it up.

I'm still having an issue with flash videos on the BBC news site, however. They look different somehow. Can anyone tell me if the site has changed the way they present the videos?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm using the NoScript extension, and I have to allow bbc.co.uk and bbcimage.co.uk to let the videos on the BBC News site run. But once they do, I can't detect a difference in the way they look between Firefox 3.6.4 and Internet Explorer 8.
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Mozilla will be releasing an emergency update for Firefox 3.6.4, possibly as early as later today or tomorrow.

This is to fix an issue where Firefox crashes on Farmville and other complex flash pages. It will be version 3.6.6 and does not include the fixes/updates that were originally planned for Firefox 3.6.6, those have been put back to Firefox 3.6.7. The only thing it does is increase the value of a hidden setting, dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs, from 10 seconds to 45 seconds. This should address the majority of cases where there are Flash hangs/crashes that weren't there before.
Tony

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:
TonyE wrote:Barring any last minute issues, Firefox 3.6.4 should be released later today.
Yep - the built-in updater offered it a short while ago, so I'm now on 3.6.4. Thanks!
Just got it too :thankyou:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:I'm using the NoScript extension, and I have to allow bbc.co.uk and bbcimage.co.uk to let the videos on the BBC News site run. But once they do, I can't detect a difference in the way they look between Firefox 3.6.4 and Internet Explorer 8.
My issues with Flash on the BBC news site do not appear to be due to Firefox. I will close the issue here and re-open it in the appropriate forum after some further investigation. Thanks all.
Regards,
Paul

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

My FF 3.6.4 Help menu dropdown had an "Apply downloaded updates" item, and having done so I'm now at 3.6.6. (though frankly I agree with anything that chokes on Farmville :evilgrin:)
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens