Restore previous session is greyed out

Argus
GoldLounger

Restore previous session is greyed out

Post by Argus »

As the subject says; when I start Fx the option to restore previous session is greyed out.

Obviously, I have not used CCleaner, or similar software, when I try this; and I have not set Fx to clear the (browsing) history on exit (or using private browsing).

This happened around two months ago, with version 20 (now running Fx 22). Back then Fx crashed for some reason, and as we know it can then offer to restore the previous session, which might cause a new crash, so one can opt for a new session instead. That is what I usually do, and what I think I did back then.

However, at the same time something else happened; I lost my download history; and as we all know, ver. 20 came with the new download manager ...; I tried to restore the correct file from a backup (created before the upgrade to Fx 20) but it failed* so I moved on, and Fx has been saving the download history since then (* Or rather, it restored some download history I think, but as soon as I closed Fx, it returned to showing only recent downloads, post-crash; tough luck, and I had not read that much about the new download manager).

So, browsing and download history is working as it should, I think, although download history for some reason only cover this month; but I can't restore the previous session, if I would like to do that. Fx is set to start with a blank page, so it's not the setting on the general tab; it's greyed out on the History menu.

In the config, all browser.sessionstore entries have their default values; and in the profile folder the sessionstore.js is created as usual.

I have only seen one reference to problems with restoring sessions and the release of version 20, so it can't be universal, or? https://support.mozilla.org/sv/questions/955966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I created a new Fx profile, then surfed the web with this profile for a minute or two and closed Fx; after restart the restore option is still greyed out. :scratch:

There is something else looking a bit odd; the menu entry "Web Developer", under Tools, doesn't show the tools, since some version, maybe Fx 20. But it does in the new test-profile, I just created. It's tempting to start a new profile, but there are several things that need to be migrated; bookmarks & history, certificates etc. And the test-profile didn't help with the greyed out session restore, so ... what to do?

All comments are welcome!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Restore previous session is greyed out

Post by Argus »

Talking to myself again ...

By the way, it does work via "about:home" ... which I normally do not use (but it does not work via about:sessionrestore). And as mentioned, it does not work via the preferred route: Menu - History.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

It would have been nice with some kind of confirmation; what other people see.

Guess I should have posted in Scuttle or one of the Office forums if I wanted a reply; they seem to be very popular nowadays.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry about the lack of replies. I myself didn't respond because I have Firefox set to clear everything on exit, so the option is always grayed out for me.

Firefox isn't as popular as it was a few years ago - it's now in third place after Chrome (which became the most used browser sometime last year) and Internet Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Here at home, I think I'm on FF 21 (I don't want to click on Help|About to find out lest it updates me to 22, I'd rather wait until it does it for me) but I can't see anything wrong with the 'restore previous session' item or the web developer option on my set up. Mind you 'restore previous' is not something I've ever used.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:Sorry about the lack of replies. I myself didn't respond because I have Firefox set to clear everything on exit, so the option is always grayed out for me.

Firefox isn't as popular as it was a few years ago - it's now in third place after Chrome (which became the most used browser sometime last year) and Internet Explorer.
I used to use FF up until version 21... but weirdly converted back to Chrome after reading an article that chrome is the leading browser currently; well that and the fact that FF was for some reason loading slowly on my work network.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Hmm, I'm at work now, using FF21 again but the 'restore prev session' option is greyed out. I wonder what's different between my home & work setups?

Probably Tools | Options | Privacy | Clear history when FF closes. It's ticked here but I don't think it's ticked at home. If there's no history then FF won't be able to restore a previous session.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:Probably Tools | Options | Privacy | Clear history when FF closes. It's ticked here but I don't think it's ticked at home. If there's no history then FF won't be able to restore a previous session.
Exactly! I have "Clear history when FF closes" ticked in my Firefox too, so the information that would be needed to restore the previous session is not there.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hans & Ken,
I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to simulate my situation ...

But if one wants to make things complicated ...

Ken,
It won't update just by you looking at the dialogue; but there are a couple of alternatives; "about:support"; "about:" etc. or the actual file in Windows Explorer.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, I set Firefox 22 to remember history and restarted it.

I opened some tabs, then closed Firefox.
After reopening, History | Restore Previous Session was greyed out. This was repeatable.

Next, I opened about:home and clicked Restore Previous Session, which worked.

I closed and restarted Firefox, and this time, History | Restore Previous Session was available (and it worked). This is now repeatable too...

I have no idea what causes this behaviour.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Thank you, Hans.