Google-Analytics

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Google-Analytics

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... I thought this might be the case but worth checking with our experts.

I have just now deleted all Google files on my lady's pc (Vista) to see if she also no longer receives the 'Google xxxx' pop-ups ...it seems to have stopped them in my Windows7 pc. One folder/file that I don't seem to be able to remove on the Vista is the Google folder in C/Programme Files. It states that I don't have the necessary authority though I go in as the Administrator. Is there a way around this so that I can 'clean her machine?'
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might try starting Windows in safe mode (see Start your computer in safe mode) to see if you can remove the folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:Thanks Hans ... I thought this might be the case but worth checking with our experts.

I have just now deleted all Google files on my lady's pc (Vista) to see if she also no longer receives the 'Google xxxx' pop-ups ...it seems to have stopped them in my Windows7 pc. One folder/file that I don't seem to be able to remove on the Vista is the Google folder in C/Programme Files. It states that I don't have the necessary authority though I go in as the Administrator. Is there a way around this so that I can 'clean her machine?'
Try Unlocker

http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000- ... 93998.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hey that is a good one Bob ... got the Google :clapping:

Now both pc's (Windows7 & a Vista) are clear of any Google files that I can find so it will be interesting to see if the original 'pop-up problems still continue. Been nothing on my Windows7 since I trashed all Google files ... so is it coming from the router or some 'hidden' file? We shall see!

Thanks all ... wish me luck :fanfare:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Oh well, back on both pc's came Google pop-ups so I finally reset my router and its working again in a secure mode. Quite a challenge (for me at least) with 3 products connected.

Now that I have trashed Google from both pc's I am realising just how much 'stuff' they placed onto the pc's and we only used it as our Search Engine (now switched to Dogpile) and for Google Earth. Seems to me that Google is getting to be more an 'advertising company' distinct a search engine!

One 'Google' that I have yet to clear on the Vista machine is this one:
'Toolbar Google etc as shown at the top of the 'search'. This file does not now exist but for some reason I cannot clear this search find when I search 'Google'. I have used 'Unlocker' which removes it but then it restores itself. Any ideas please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ron,
WHEN does it restore itself?
After rebooting or just shows up at random times?
IF after reboot, I would look in the start ups by typing "msconfig" at a command prompt, or do a much more detailed look with "Autoruns."
Something has to be reinstalling the file, even if Unlocker deletes the file that's in place at the moment.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hello, Ron!

Your efforts to expunge google are admirable and heroic. I have not yet gone to the extent that you have, but I did a search for all files with 'google' in the name or within the file and the results showed almost 400Mb of file space taken on my computer. To be fair, much of that space is taken up by SketchUp, a product to which I have become addicted. (If anyone knows of such a program - free - available from other sources, perhaps I can take my first of 12 steps.)

Could you tell us more about what you did with the router? I'm at a loss to understand what you did. Was it something with the firewall or with blocking IP addresses?

What google (et alia) are doing is not (yet) illegal in the US or anywhere else that I'm aware of, but I think that what they do is clearly an invasion of privacy. Even if there is no precept at law that says that this is a violation of inherent human rights, I believe the collection of information on the scale they do it and for the ends they use it IS such a violation of God given rights - like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I have no problem with people who opt into the game, but I am adamant that the law should provide a means of opting out for any individual who wishes to do so. The potential for abuse of the power of that much information is too great to go unchecked by law, IMO.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

viking33 wrote:Ron,
WHEN does it restore itself?
After rebooting or just shows up at random times?
IF after reboot, I would look in the start ups by typing "msconfig" at a command prompt, or do a much more detailed look with "Autoruns."
Something has to be reinstalling the file, even if Unlocker deletes the file that's in place at the moment.
Thanks for clues ... I will get out the 'shovel' and have a good dig around in the 'Autoruns'. This particular Google 'left-over' seems not to be an actual file because when you rt click on it for 'location' it does not find it. So as best as I can determine, its only this link that is left if you get my meaning.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

BobH wrote:
Could you tell us more about what you did with the router? I'm at a loss to understand what you did. Was it something with the firewall or with blocking IP addresses?
Good Morning from Norway ... well not good, its raining!
Now about the router. Since this thread of mine is getting somewhat long can I first go back to the problem I am trying to resolve.
I am getting pop-ups at random when surfing. they look like this:
Google Analytics.JPG
This one suggests that Google Analytics wants my router to provide passwords etc ... the router is the GN-BR01G. 'Analytics' is but one of a number of 'Google' pop-ups that have been occurring randomly. Each time it occurs I first switch off the wireless connection on the pc, go to the Task Manager and close the web page/s then re-estabish my internet. If I don't close the internet then these little pop-ups can keep re-occurring so I have to 'kill' this way. Another solution is to turn-off the router power momentarily.

After doing my best to rid Google from both pc's (thinking this is the problem maybe) I finally had to resort to a complete factory restart of my router ... this I did yesterday. Searching many pages on the net about this problem over past days shows that I am not alone and router reset is the way to go. Needed a bit of courage because I run 2xpc and 1xinternet radio off it. I recall the heartache when I first set it up ... not skilled at this. But I succeeded and it was not as complex as I thought ... I had all the details of the settings written down for re-entering on the router set-up pages.

Guess what! Yesterday, some time after I was back on air following the reset, up popped yet another one but this time from http://i4.ytimg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which relates to YouTube and I was starting to look at one of their pages at the time.

So, sadly, I seem not to have solved my problem. I don't think that it is doing 'nasty's to either of our pc's but it is a real pain. I have completed full scans using MSE (I use this antivirus from Microsoft) and also with Malwarebytes ... neither show any infections on the pc's. I have completely reprogrammed the router from scratch and now there is nothing left other than 'something' from (maybe) my ISP causing the problem.

I am not keen to use numerous other 'find the malware' software offerings that are available ... I would need to be sure that the programme is very trusted. We just do not know what some of these programmes stuff into our computers ...

A bit long-winded in answer to your question but maybe there is an answer to my problem out there :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I assume that this pop-up appears on a PC, and not on the router (most routers don't have a display like that). So why do you think that "Google Analytics wants my router to provide passwords"?

According to http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... ZvaT5-mVkQ this pop up can be caused by browser add-ons. What browser do you use, and which add-ons do you have installed?
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Stuart & thanks.

These pop-ups are on the pc's but why I think it somehow relates to the router is because the router type is GN-BR01G which is on the header of the pop-up.

On both pc's we use IE9 and Dogpile now as our Search Engine. With regard to Add-Ons, I have copied the full list below.
Add Ons.JPG
Sorry, don't know why the first page was copied 3x into this post!
Cyberlink & ExtraFilm are only on the Windows7 so these could not be the culprit. I don't know what all of them 'do' but maybe it gives you a clue?
Ron
Last edited by StuartR on 22 Apr 2012, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted extra copies of the first image
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ron,
As you may have noticed when searching for information about "pop-ups" on the theme: "the server... at... requires a username and password", it can be caused by a lot of things (and sometimes it is as it should be).

Badly coded web pages etc. or simple things; someone had a blog page and some images with links pointed to another site, and that one required a password suddenly etc. To pick one example.
http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/st ... to-my-blog

But in this case it's Google Analytics, and your router, mentioned in the dialogue box; and as been mentioned in a reply at MS, and here, that seems odd.

I didn't comment on that part earlier; but in a case like this one must know when it happens, where, which page etc. I don't think you mentioned that.

And when trying to troubleshoot this you must look for patterns as well as other things. You see it on more than one PC, you say. When visiting the same page(s)? What do these computers have in common? Do they have the same software (related to browsing the web) installed etc. One thing is obvious, though, they use the same Internet access.

You mentioned IE9 early on; take a close look at the browser(s) and add-ons, as Stuart mentioned. One can test without them, or reset the browser etc. (As for the Ghostery mentioned in one reply to the thread Stuart linked to, I tried it once, but didn't think it gave me more than NoScript (for Fx), but maybe I missed something, but above all I got a bit slower response times.)

I don't think this has anything to do with which search engine one visit or use; though it might be good to use several, or something else than Google, for other reasons, but it's not part of the problem here.

As for Google files on a PC; I don't use any software from them at the moment, but with for example Google Earth, and just about any "big" software, there might be a lot of files installed, and in some cases not all is removed during uninstall, for different reasons.

I think this has nothing to do with invasion of privacy etc. or other things. To know what's malicious one usually have to know what is normal behaviour, and if one doesn't understand all things, and who does, it may be easy to become suspicious. But I think we should leave that part about Google out of the discussion, it's not the topic, IMHO.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good afternoon Argus ... thanks for spending Sunday writing to me :cheers:

Yes, I am aware that these kinds of pop-ups can occur from time to time but the curious part is the product reference to my router product number ... but maybe this 'just happens'. Clearly it is not Google persay and it does not have any kind of pattern other than the fact that it usually develops after one has visited a number of web pages.

Yes, both pc's use IE9 and maybe the next course of action is to reset the IE to original install settings just in case something here is the problem. Both are set up pretty much the same.

I have the Pop Up Blocker set at Medium with no allowed sites ... maybe this is the cause, though Blocker announces in a bar at the bottom of the screen to the best of my knowledge and not in a 'window' like I get . I am going to set this Blocker to High and see if there is any change. I also have the Tracking Protection set to On.

In searching the web for information, it seems that many are experiencing similar difficulties in recent times. So at least I can be 'among friends!' This must be something fairly 'new' ... over many years I have never come across this until now.

It does seem more and more like 'settings' in IE9, perhaps I have the security wound up too tight. One thing for sure, I am hoping that its not malicious activities being attempted but I have taken all the precautions that I can think of.
Keep thinking ... please :thankyou: I am welcoming all ideas.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Here we go again! I have also now reset my IE9 without solving. Windows Security warnings still occur in the pop up window as shown earlier in this thread. I even got one when I earlier logged onto this site ... in this case it was by 'Google Analytics' but others have included mt0.googleapis.com and i4.ytimg.com so it is not always 'Google'.

Full scans with both MSE and Malwarebytes consistantly give clean reports which is encouraging. Are there known software programmes out there (that I may have downloaded) that are likely causes? As best I can judge, looking through my 2012 downloads, I am not downloading anything that I would consider risky and I always scan the download with eg MSE prior to installing.

Ron
(I am also discussing my problem in Microsoft MSE and will post here if we find a solution)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just for info:

Subsequent to the above I note that on both pc's, late Feb, I installed a product (recommended on this site as I recall, a great utility) and known as 'Imageresizer for Windows' from CodePlex.com ... BriceLambson is the developer and it is the only software installed other than software from major players.
As a Precaution, I have deleted this programme to see if it has been causing my pop-up problems. If not then its back to the drawing board :groan:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well, Imageresizer is not it :groan:

I guess that I have taken up enough of forum time on this issue so (Hans?) perhaps its time to close this thread. If I have any success I will of course post the result ... Maybe I will just simply accept it as a 'friend' and just ctrl/alt/del the problem each time it occurs and 'it' may just 'give up' :rofl:

Thanks for all your help folks ... bye for now.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We can leave this thread open - wer'll let it rest but perhaps someone will come up with a new suggestion.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

RonH wrote:I guess that I have taken up enough of forum time on this issue so (Hans?) perhaps its time to close this thread.
I definitely don't think so, Ron; so I agree with Hans.
Threads can, as we all know, become a bit lengthy if there are several things to try; if not all info is known from the start; or if there are off topic discussions... (About, for example, search engines... if the dialogue box hadn't mentioned Google it probably wouldn't have been discussed. :smile:).

But if a thread is still reasonably on topic, and one still haven't tried "all things", why close it; IMHO that's for cross-posts or discussions that goes out of hand or similar. Even with a solved case an alternative solution or approach can add some valuable knowledge.

I was going to come back to you Ron, and I'm sure other will as well if there are new suggestions; I'm a bit occupied at the moment, but let's look at what you have mentioned and done (and perhaps haven't done).

Some probably thinks the above part was a lengthy post, but if we are going solve complicated matters, or, sum up what's been done so far, and then give some comments on that...

To recapitulate:
  • You sometimes see Windows Security dialogue boxes when browsing the web.
    This has nothing to do with browser pop-ups in general, since they are credential prompts, authentication prompts, so that bit about pop-up blocking isn't worth looking at. As I mentioned above, and as you've probably seen when searching for info, there can be several causes. When browsing it's a client-server process, so the problem could be on the server side, though not likely in this case since you see it at random, it seems.
  • You see it with IE9; on more than one PC, using Windows 7 or Vista; connecting to the Internet via one router.
    We are in the IE forum, and it's always good to mention as much info as possible, about OS, hardware, modem etc. if needed, though IE9 is only for Vista and 7. In this case I don't think the exact version is important; people have seen it with more or less all versions, but just to set down the facts.
  • You have done simple things like restarting computers, the router, cleaning TIFs (Temporary Internet Files), checking for malware etc. Given the above, it shouldn't matter, just good to know it's (or, they are) clean. And you have uninstalled some software from Google etc., or done a clean up from a previous uninstall, correct?
  • I think you were asked about the hosts file at MS; you checked that one, and didn't see anything odd?
  • You reset your router (or did you use the new one you got from your ISP, I think you reset the old one); and changed the settings you need. I assume you haven't enabled remote access; it should be disabled by default.
  • You have reset IE9 (via the Advanced tab I assume); that should restore some settings, such as the different zone settings, I think (there is also a possibility to delete personal settings). I was among other things thinking about the user authentication settings. Have you added any sites to the different zones (in Internet options)? Are you using any proxy server?
I don't think you have mentioned a page where it always happens. Since it's probably a bit random I can understand why you haven't, but it might give some clues in some cases.

When troubleshooting one need to be systematic; have you, for example, after seeing one dialogue box, closed the browser cleaned the TIF and visited the same page(s) with add-ons disabled?
To disable all, and run in that mode: Start (Windows orb) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

As a test, since it seems like you have two routers, you could disconnect everything temporarily and do some tests with only one PC using the new router (no need for Wi-Fi setup etc.). I would definitely do some tests with another router, if I had one, after checking some obvious things.

I saw you mentioned AutoRuns, and that you have it on at least one computer.
If you take a look at the LSA Providers tab, what do you see, if you compare using the different filters, i.e. Options > Filter Options > uncheck all, hide nothing to show all, and if you compare with Hide Windows entries? Do you see any extra entries when you've hidden Windows' entries?

One interpretation of the above could be that IE, for some reason, seems to think that one URL or scripts etc. running from one URL, on the requested page belongs to a local intranet, or something.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there are so many different cases when this can happen; we have to find the one that applies to your computers.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Argus ... a lot to think about. I will need a few days to absorb all of what you say & suggest :scratch:
This, for me, has been like treading through a mine field though a lot safer!

So with thanks, I will post again as soon as I have 'passed a few mines' and not thrown the pc's and router out the window. i am even looking at the possibility of changing our service provider and going onto fibre ... now that would be an experience!

Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy Ron!

After reading further in this thread, I now suspect that the software about which you are being warned is associated with web sites your browser reads. Many webmasters embed apps that will launch when you open their site. Google Analytics is one such program and I think that mt0.googleapis.com and i4.ytimg.com might also be of that type. These programs are usually tools that assist the webmaster or generate income for them or track your browsing habits in order to target specific products or services at you.

I have no idea whether or not they are benign or malignant, but I go to some lengths to preserve the privacy of my browsing - at least, to the extent that I can.

As I've said before, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs