Google-Analytics

RonH
SilverLounger

Google-Analytics

Post by RonH »

Google-analytics.com @ GN-BR01G is constantly popping up on my IE9 screen. It is asking for my User Name & Password!
I do not use Google except 'Earth' and I do not want 'analytics'. Searching the net tells me nothing but I see that others have the same question. Looking at the 'site' shows that its some kind of 'targeting' that can be used by business.

How can I STOP Google being so invasive :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Google-Analytics

Post by HansV »

Google Analytics is a tool used by many webmasters to keep track of how many visitors their website has, where they come from etc.
It's innocent in itself, but it should work silently in the background, not display popups.
1) Try resetting your internet modem/router.
2) Run a full scan with your favorite security program, to be on the safe side.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... I actually have pop-ups blocked in my IE9. Good to know that it is just a nuisance factor ... I notice from time to time that I get a whole string of them which makes web browsing difficult but then they disappear maybe when I next go online.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Look into Ghostery(http://www.ghostery.com/, Ron.

Their FAQ gives some insight into the number of different trackers and reporters there are which might or might not be to your liking. Having become paranoid about Google (and particularly the political machinations of its leader), I stopped using everything I could identify as being associated with them and with facebook and twitter. I changed my search engines dropping both google and yahoo. A friend suggested that I look into Ghostery. I installed it and turned on all its switches for stopping the actions of intrusive software known to its database. So far, the only effect I've noticed is that the names of the intrusive software are made known to me by Ghostery and their functions are stopped (at least to my knowledge). Even here at Eileen's Lounge I see the google analytics function disabled. Other websites show far more software stopped.

It's early days yet for me in using Ghostery. I can give neither an unqualified endorsement nor an unqualified warning. FWIW.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Bob ... thanks for this. Interesting 'Ghost Buster' :flee:

I have also now decided to dump Google search and will try Bing instead. Bing used to be a 'bit average' as a search engine but time has passed and I expect they are an equal to Google ... we shall see. Still have Google Earth though ... ho,hum.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:Hei Bob ... thanks for this. Interesting 'Ghost Buster' :flee:

I have also now decided to dump Google search and will try Bing instead. Bing used to be a 'bit average' as a search engine but time has passed and I expect they are an equal to Google ... we shall see. Still have Google Earth though ... ho,hum.
Ron,
I also got rid of Google Search in favor of Bing. I find Bing to be an equal to Google in all ways thus far.
( still have Google Earth ) :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Ron and Bob - I tried Bing and didn't like it. I am now trying Dogpile and find it superior to Bing. My problems with Bing were that it pushed particular web sites to the top - often when the suggestions didn't even seem to be relevant to my search string. YMMV
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well, I've now 'dumped' Bing and gone back to Google. Reason ... Bing insists on saying I'm in Norway so lets give him some Norwegian searches :sad: Try as I might I can't get them to accept that I only want English.

Regarding 'Google-Analytics' popups, it seems not to be so regular a problem but it popped up just a few days ago and looks like this ...
Maybe its time to get a more up-to-date router. Resetting this one and starting over is a complex proceedure (for me :scratch: ). I have also been discussing this on Microsoft Answers but everyone is scratching heads. Of course, I never fill in the details requested. This is the same popup (except the 'Google' bit) that I get when I access the wireless router to check/change something ... GN-BR01G is the router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Curiouser and curiouser (don't think this word exists in English but you know what I mean :evilgrin: ) ...
My lady's pc on the same wireless router has had this popup:

Its a different Google page and checking it proves to be a Google web page search for Norway ... any expert ideas please :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

My guess is that she has a different IP address that allows google to identify her differently.

Did the google page just pop up randomly or is it a default page in her browser? What browser, IE? If so,
give Firefox a try and see if you get the same result.

As for search engines, I too tried Bing and found it to be almost worthless. It's results are too far removed from relevance and there is too much 'pushing' of advertiser links, for me.

Have you tried Dogpile? I've gone from google, to bing and now dogpile. After several weeks of use, I find dogpile more than satisfactory, but I don't know that I'm one who would stress a search engine.

Good luck, Ron! (How would I say that in Norwegian?) :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:(How would I say that in Norwegian?) :scratch:
Use Google...? :smile:
x.jpg
Leif

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

You got it in one Leif :clapping:

No Bob,she was not on this Google page but its what came up when I called up the 'googleapis' server. So I thought just now that it would be a good idea to also contact Google direct about these (now two) problems ... not smart! First I have to have an 'account' to ask anything and secondly when I tried to use 'technical assistance' I progressed so far when up popped a cost! Can't say that I am keen on paying to maybe solve their problem.

We both use IE9, one on Vista and the other Windows 7. I will stick with MS browsers but will try out Dogpile ... sounds kind of smelly though :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Had some days now with the Dogpile search and I LOVE IT. Quick, homes into what I am seeking, good screen display etc. Would recommend :clapping: Thanks for this tip.

Oh, my router *Google* popups still occur, even with Dogpile. But somewhere in the daisy chain I must be picking up something ... am seriously thinking of resetting my router but need a calm day! I suppose if I write everything down I should not have the challenges that I had when first installed ... I connect 2xpc and 1x internet radio to the router. Will anything change in these devices or will they keep their existing 'connection setups' when I reset the router eg can I just enter the settings in the router?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy Ron!

Although you probably already have this information, this link (http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Ma ... r01g_e.pdf) takes you to a user manual for the router model you mentioned. I have no experience with this particular router, but it appears to be very similar to my Cisco router.

I suggest that you read through the instructions noting things that you are not familiar with and information you will need. You might have to contact your ISP to get some of the information.

Before doing anything to the router, put the IP address (192.168.1.254) in the address bar of your browser. Follow each menu and note the information that is already in your router for each option. Print screen will make this easier.

With the settings that you have been using saved, and with the information you obtained from your ISP (or that you already knew), you should be able to reset your router and begin again using your browser and the IP address and the firmware menus to navigate to all the settings.

Although I'm not familiar with using a router with the devices you mentioned, I'm reasonably confident that the devices in use will not be affected unless you must set one or more router options to use them. The user guides for those products should tell you if they require specific router settings.

Hope this helps.

Lykke til!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

G'day Bob & thanks for taking time out to reply ... mange takk! My Norwegian is worse than yours!

Yes I do have this manual but there is a lot of stuff in it that frankly is :scratch: to me. But your advice is very helpful and I will give it a go after Easter and report back. I also contacted my ISP to see if they have a later model router that they offer to customers (I purchased mine before they came up with all-in-one packages) and they are sending me an Intendo x5668 to bring me up to date. Hmm, this model is about as old as mine! Anyway, its FOC so I will have two routers to test out and law of averages (50/50) says that I should get one of them working!

Watch this space :cheers:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

The ongoing saga :groan:

After I have started using Dogpile as my web search I thought that I best check what else of Google is still on my pc (Windows7). And what a mass there was ... Task Scheduler/various Google files in AppData and of cause the one that I disabled in IE9 Manage Add-Ons. Are there other places I should look and is it OK to delete all these files eg if ever I want to use Google again I assume it will install its own required files :scratch:

Interestingly, since I removed these files to my Recycle Bin, I have not had one instance of the Google-Analytics pop-up. So just maybe its not coming from my router but from 'something' in the Google files that I have binned. Its still an occasional issue on my lady's pc but she still has all the Google stuff.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Ref: my above post ...
Are there other places I should look and is it OK to delete all these files eg if ever I want to use Google again I assume it will install its own required files
Would appreciate advice ... sorry to 'nag' but I need to clean my 'rubbish bin'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Have you reset the router?
There is no Google software on a system if it hasn't been installed, so it would be difficult to guess what you have installed, if anything.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Gosh, that was a fast response. Thanks
Over time all sorts of Google 'stuff' has been installed (some by accident) and then uninstalled on my pc but it seems that many Google folders/files are not removed from the system ... AppData being one area. If its safe to remove any files ref 'Google' then that's what I will do. Strange as it may seem, the 'pop-up' that I was experiencing seems to have stopped and as yet I have not reset the router ... my AppData Google files are held in my Recycle Bin just now.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you don't experience problems after moving the Google stuff to the recycle bin, you can safely delete it permanently. If you ever decide to use a Google application again, the necessary files will be installed again.
Best wishes,
Hans