IE8 running really slow

VegasNath
5StarLounger

IE8 running really slow

Post by VegasNath »

For some unknown reason, my IE8 has slowed to a crawl, pages taking ages to load / refresh etc. Any idea's what could cause this?
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Re: IE8 running really slow

Post by VegasNath »

I have 'delete browsing history on exit' checked.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you have another browser installed, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera? If so, does the same problem occur there, or only in Internet Explorer?
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

FF is much faster, IE used to be really fast but has been slowing down a lot over the last few weeks, getting worse & worse.... I'm OK using FF, but prefer IE8 out of habit.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks - I asked because I wanted to know whether it was a problem with your internet connection or network settings. Apparently not.

Do you have a large HOSTS file (in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)?
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts = 1kb

This site generally runs fine. BBC, Twitter to mention 2 are really slow.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ok, so the HOSTS file isn't the cause either, and it's not all sites, so it's not a general IE8 performance problem. Hard to say what the cause could be...

You might try deleting all temporary files of various kinds, for example using CCleaner (Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!). Warning: unless you specify cookies to keep, all cookies will be deleted, so that you'd have to login to sites such as Eileen's Lounge again.

You might also try a different DNS server - for example Google Public DNS.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you added or updated any addons (i.e. toolbars, flash, etc.). See Tools | Manage Addons for a list. You can try selectively disabling addons to see if you can identify a problem area.

Joe
Joe

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

JoeP wrote:Have you added or updated any addons (i.e. toolbars, flash, etc.). See Tools | Manage Addons for a list. You can try selectively disabling addons to see if you can identify a problem area.

Joe
No addons Joe, but thanks for the input.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

HansV wrote:Ok, so the HOSTS file isn't the cause either, and it's not all sites, so it's not a general IE8 performance problem. Hard to say what the cause could be...

You might try deleting all temporary files of various kinds, for example using CCleaner (Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!). Warning: unless you specify cookies to keep, all cookies will be deleted, so that you'd have to login to sites such as Eileen's Lounge again.

You might also try a different DNS server - for example Google Public DNS.
Hans, thanks. CCleaner seems to have sped things up a little, not sure if things are as quick as they should be though, time will tell, i'll report back if the problem persists.

Now, please remind me what I need to do to stop Eileens cookie being deleted?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

VegasNath wrote:Now, please remind me what I need to do to stop Eileens cookie being deleted?
In CCleaner?

Click Options, then Cookies. You'll see a list of cookies to delete on the left and a list of cookies to keep on the right. You can use the -> and <- buttons to move cookies between these two lists. Make sure that the eileenslounge.com cookie is in the list of cookies to keep on the right.
x433.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

VegasNath wrote:
JoeP wrote:Have you added or updated any addons (i.e. toolbars, flash, etc.). See Tools | Manage Addons for a list. You can try selectively disabling addons to see if you can identify a problem area.

Joe
No addons Joe, but thanks for the input.
Just a suggestion, it might be worth running IE in 'safe' mode, without ActiveX controls or extensions which you may not be aware of, just to see if performance improves.

There should be an option under Start/ All Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ Internet Explorer (no Add ons). At least, there is in Vista.

If performance does improve then it might be an add-on or extension that's causing the problem. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Cheers Hans. How is this done in IE also?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you set IE to delete cookies (among other things) on exit, you can specify that you want to preserve data for your Favorites. If you do that and if Eileen's Lounge is in your Favorites (it is, of course :grin:), your Lounge cookie won't be deleted.
Delete_Browsing_History.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans