Can't Install IE6

omega0401
StarLounger

Can't Install IE6

Post by omega0401 »

I had IE7 running on my XP system. I gave my PC to my wife to use for work which requires an application to use IE6 which is a little scary. I had to uninstall SP3 according to microsoft instructions in order to use the Add Remove Program tool to remove IE7. I also removed an IE7 update. After rebooting I tried running the ie6setup program. It spit out a message that it detected a newer version of internet explorer and then quit.

I found information on microsoft to update the registry at this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components - and to change the IsInstalled keyword from 1 to 0. This apparently is to turn off the info that IE has been installed. I reran the install and had the same problem. Microsoft didn't seem to have any other solutions.

Does anyone know what makes the install program think that a newer version of IE has on the PC? I've almost got ie6 installed except for this one problem.

Apparently MS is very reluctant to have users going back to older versions of ie and making it very difficult for them even if we have old software that needs it.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't Install IE6

Post by HansV »

I thought IE6 would return automatically if you uninstalled IE7...

Added: according to Microsoft's How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7:
When you uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 6 is automatically restored on your computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

Hello Hans. Thanks for the reply. That would make sense why, when I ran the ie6setup program, it would not install it. I was expecting a big E icon on my desktop or at least message saying IE6 was successfully installed after IE7 was removed.

I am at work right now but when I go home I'll check for the program under the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. If that's the case, I deserve the bag award for the day! :bagged:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

omega0401 wrote:Hello Hans. Thanks for the reply. That would make sense why, when I ran the ie6setup program, it would not install it. I was expecting a big E icon on my desktop or at least message saying IE6 was successfully installed after IE7 was removed.

I am at work right now but when I go home I'll check for the program under the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. If that's the case, I deserve the bag award for the day! :bagged:
An upgrade ( instead of a downgrade ) to IE 8 is not allowed?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... cdecd8852b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

I wish we could upgrade to IE8. The software company she has to use is really dragging its feet when it comes to updating their software. I hope this isn't a bad sign of things to come.

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

Latest update
I found what I think is ie6 in the proper place. I reset the register entries back to the value 1. I ran ie and I got a message that it “cannot download / from my home page. Internet explorer was unable to open this site” and then closed.

I also looked at Add Change Programs in the control panel and ie is not listed in there.

I found the file ie7uninstall.log but nothing in the log about ie6 being installed. I did find 2 failed messages in the log:
290.141: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11789, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
290.141: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11806, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error

I may install ie7 all over again. I will install SP3 first before ie7 is installed. That way I will not have to uninstall SP3 in order to uninstall ie7. Then see if ie7 will work. If it does, I can see if the ie7 uninstall will install ie6 properly this time. I will not have time to do it tonight.

If anyone has other ideas, feel free to jump in.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I know you wanted IE6 for a particular reason, you said so in your first post but why reinstall IE7? IE8 is the current version and the general opinion is that it's 'better' than IE7. I went from IE6 straight to IE8 (not that I use IE, except to use the MS Update site) with no problems.

Viking gave you a link to the IE 8 download page, alternatively Win / MS Update should offer it to you.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

omega0401 wrote:Latest update
I found the file ie7uninstall.log but nothing in the log about ie6 being installed. I did find 2 failed messages in the log:
290.141: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11789, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
290.141: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11806, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error
You are not going to see anything about IE6 being installed. When you uninstall IE7 the installer program automatically reverts to the prior version of IE that was installed. It removes the IE7 files and copies back the IE6 files.

What happens when you run IE now?

Joe
Joe

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

Hello Stuck, my wife works from home and has to use an application on the internet to do her work but it does not run on IE7 or IE8, Therefore, she's forced to use IE6. We would prefer installing IE8 but we really have no choice.

I'll install IE7 again then uninstall it and see if IE6 is installed automatically and if it works.

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

I am on XP with SP2. I’ve installed IE7 and it worked beautifully. I uninstalled IE7 and rebooted the PC. The iexplorer.exe had an older modified date of 8/10/04. It was different from the IE7 program so I knew it must have installed IE6. I launched IE6 and I got the same message: “cannot download / from my home page. Internet explorer was unable to open this site” and then closed.

Either IE7 did not uninstall cleanly or IE6 did not install cleanly or there may even be an update patch causing a problem.

The IE7uninstall.log has these failed messages:
105.969: ProcessDynamicStrings: RegQueryValueEx failed to read value: 0x2
105.969: ProcessDynamicStrings: InstallPathRegistryKey for SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,BrandGUID failed
152.672: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11789, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
152.672: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11806, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

I don’t know if they are related to IE6 not working or not.

I found a site where I can download all the modules for IE6 to install from my PC but it won’t install because it thinks there is a newer version of IE running. I wish I could just get rid of everything related to IE so I can install IE6.

Is there anything else I should try?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can try to repair system files:

- Select Start | Run...
- Type

sfc /scannow

- Click OK or press Enter.
- Follow the instructions of the System File Checker.
- Restart Windows when the check is finished.
Best wishes,
Hans