can't close prog

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

can't close prog

Post by Dave Davison »

HELP....a speedy answer would be appreciated as I don't want to risk causing any problems when closing down. I used the "Search" app through the Start tab to locate where the Olk Connector that Hans recommended had downloaded to and after tracing it I tried to delete the search prog but get a warning prompt on screen that indicates so doing may cause problems. [see att] I have checked the task manager which does not indicate there are any programs running but as the screen shot shows, there is a blank folder in the task bar which when clicked on brings the said warning message on to the screen. :thankyou: loads Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: can't close prog

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:HELP....a speedy answer would be appreciated as I don't want to risk causing any problems when closing down. I used the "Search" app through the Start tab to locate where the Olk Connector that Hans recommended had downloaded to and after tracing it I tried to delete the search prog but get a warning prompt on screen that indicates so doing may cause problems. [see att] I have checked the task manager which does not indicate there are any programs running but as the screen shot shows, there is a blank folder in the task bar which when clicked on brings the said warning message on to the screen. :thankyou: loads Dave.
Task Manager shows only Mozilla Firefox is running. The blank folder says Internet Explorer. I don't see any problems with shutting things down in the normal manner?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Bob....hope you are right....if nothing is said to be running in Task Manager, how come the warning message says "This window is busy" & damage may ensue if closed..... here goes.... must close as time has run out... Cheers Dave.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Why do you upload your images inside a Word file? You will have to create one more file, and the images will not be readily seen, when done that way.

BTW, see this post, I've seen a similar behaviour with Windows Search some times, i.e. it's not possible to close the window, i.e. remove it from the Taskbar. Just log out and log in, or turn off Windows, no need to close it before you "turn off Windows".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, on some systems, when a Word file is posted, the file must be saved to the local drive and then opened.
While if the image it self was attached it will be displayed, and ALL can see it.

Also, note that everyone does NOT have Word and may not be able to get to your image and they may have the answer that you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree, though I watched the file with WordPad (macros and all that). :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

....pardon my dullness Argos but when you write (Just log out and log in, or turn off Windows, no need to close it before you "turn off Windows") SORRY but - how can I log out when I'm not even on the web. I was only searching to find where the free prog was that Hans recommended...see thread... as for attaching a WORD doc, that was suggested as acceptable by Hans in a previous post of mine so I thought it was OK. I take your point about some maybe not having WORD installed on their computers & will revert back to attaching screen shots as jpg files. Can't imagine though why people chose not to have WORD installed, I suppose they have WORKS which - I think- is far less versatile. Thanks for the replies, appreciate it more than words can say. :cheers: Dave.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Dave Davison wrote:....pardon my dullness Argos but when you write (Just log out and log in, or turn off Windows, no need to close it before you "turn off Windows") SORRY but - how can I log out when I'm not even on the web. I was only searching to find where the free prog was that Hans recommended...
My English isn't the best; with "log out" I meant log off Windows, i.e. the session is closed and you are returned to the Welcome screen or the classic login prompt (depending on the settings used). You can then log in again, if your intention was to do some more work. Another way would be to "kill" explorer and restart it (or let it restart) but I would not recommend that.

Finally, in the above case it seemed like you just wanted to shut down the PC, and as I mentioned that works as well, Windows will close.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Dave Davison wrote:....pardon my dullness Argos but when you write (Just log out and log in, or turn off Windows, no need to close it before you "turn off Windows") SORRY but - how can I log out when I'm not even on the web. I was only searching to find where the free prog was that Hans recommended...see thread... as for attaching a WORD doc, that was suggested as acceptable by Hans in a previous post of mine so I thought it was OK. I take your point about some maybe not having WORD installed on their computers & will revert back to attaching screen shots as jpg files. Can't imagine though why people chose not to have WORD installed, I suppose they have WORKS which - I think- is far less versatile. Thanks for the replies, appreciate it more than words can say. :cheers: Dave.
Dave, I think possibly that one reason some people (like me) chose not to have WORD is because their computer came with Works 7 installed (which I agree is probably less versatile, but it certainly meets my needs). To purchase WORD package is an expense (over £100 sterling) I'm unable to justify at present :sad: . What I do have, however, is Microsoft's freebee Word Reader 2007. Can't use it to compose, edit, or save, but at least I can read .doc documents :cool: .

Regards,
Regards,
Keith

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote: I take your point about some maybe not having WORD installed on their computers & will revert back to attaching screen shots as jpg files. Can't imagine though why people chose not to have WORD installed
Some people have OpenOffice ( like me ) installed instead of Word or Works. :clapping:
BOB

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

OpenOffice

I too am an avid OO user :grin:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I'm digressing from the original topic here but, I downloaded OO some time ago after a recommend (may even have been from Bob) from the 'other place' (I think it was version 3.0, but not sure). For some reason (I cannot now remember!) I didn't take to it and went back to my original configuration. Perhaps I should give it another go - I'd be interested to know if people use the whole package (spreadsheet, powerpoint etc) or just the writer part?

Thanks for raising the issue again.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:OpenOffice

I too am an avid OO user :grin:
Yeah, and my socks are often blue. :grin:

Since I was the one who brought up the subject of (uploaded) file types:
It doesn't matter which word processor we use, the documents are still not meant to be envelopes for the images (here), IMHO. :smile:

In my previous reply, I should have mentioned Bob's reply, "shutting things down in the normal manner", since I agreed with that, and he was the first to mention it.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote: I'd be interested to know if people use the whole package (spreadsheet, powerpoint etc) or just the writer part?

Thanks for raising the issue again.
Regards,
As for me, I don't use the whole package in OO. Mostly spreadsheet,database and writer, in that order. I migrated away from Works Suite mostly because it was getting a little "long in the tooth," and support was lacking.
BOB

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..........thanks for all the posts... I guess I am fortunate to have received the WORD disc with my first computer & rather glad I did as I find it much better than WORKS. I did investigate OO which seemed to be a good alternative to the latter but have stuck with word.... Cheers Dave.