Selected Words as links

jlkirk
2StarLounger

Selected Words as links

Post by jlkirk »

Anyone else have this problem: On almost every web page, there are a few words (radom, very few repeated) that appear to be hot links that, when the mouse hovers over them, a small window appears advertising "SushiWorld". Then, if you click on them, a new big window opens up to a career search site. It is very annoying. Any help to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

By the way, they are green in color, and are double underlined.
Last edited by jlkirk on 26 May 2010, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Selected Words as links

Post by StuartR »

Sounds like some kind of malware on your PC to me. Have you run a selection of anti-virus and anti-malware tools?
StuartR

jlkirk
2StarLounger

Post by jlkirk »

No-pretty sure its not-it is a company computer which is pretty secure.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You've probably been infected by adware such as eZula/TopText. I'd run a complete check with a program such as MalwareBytes AntiMalware (get the free version).
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

jlkirk wrote:Anyone else have this problem: On almost every web page, there are a few words (radom, very few repeated) that appear to be hot links that, when the mouse hovers over them, a small window appears advertising "SushiWorld". Then, if you click on them, a new big window opens up to a career search site. It is very annoying. Any help to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

By the way, they are green in color, and are double underlined.
Articles at http://www.warp2search.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://news.softpedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have those sorts of double underlined words. That does indicate a "feature" called in text advertising. See double-underlined links - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-) for more details. But when I mouse over or hover I don't get a "Sushiworld" advertisement. That could be because during the day I mostly visit tech sites. If you go to one of those tech sites and get strange ads then I'd agree you probably are infected. If the ads are tech related then it would appear to be "normal" functionality. See if How to Remove Double Underlined Text ads on your eHow pages | eHow.com helps to disable them.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Joe, I know about the feature that you mention, but that appears only on specific websites. Jeff mentioned that he gets the links on almost every web page; that makes me suspect it's malware...
Best wishes,
Hans

jlkirk
2StarLounger

Post by jlkirk »

Actually, I just found it! Instead of "SushiWorld", the small window was "PlaySushi", a gaming site. When I checked the program list on my machine, what do you know but there it was. After removing it and rebooting, no more problems. Thanks for your responses.