I.E. 11 Problems?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

I.E. 11 Problems?

Post by hlewton »

I just installed I.E. 11 and for some reason while opening Excel or Access files from within Windows explorer it takes at least 5 to 10 times longer for the files to open then before the installation. The programs by themselves Excel and Access, without opening files, still open as fast as they ever did. Until today the files did open remarkably faster double clicking them from within Windows Explorer. If I open the files from within the program they still open very fast. This only happens with Excel and Access files; Word and Power Point files still open fast even using Windows Explorer to open them. Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: I.E. 11 Problems?

Post by HansV »

I installed IE11 6 days ago and I haven't experienced any problems with opening Excel workbooks or Access databases from Windows Explorer. It's just as fast as it was before. I don't see how a browser update could cause this...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have no idea Hans what is going on. I know I rebooted as it required and then this started happening. What I just did was shut the computer down. Let it off for a few minutes then turned it back on. Now it seems to be working as it did before but who knows what it will do later or even tomorrow. I know I don't do anything out of the ordinary when installing anything and especially MS updates as this one was but I sure seem to run into a lot of quirks. Not too fond of Win 7 yet I must say.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well another problem with I.E. 11 but to be honest it was the same problem in I.E. 10 as well. I didn't think it warranted a new topic.

When typing in windows like this in forums like this while using either version of I.E. when I type a "w" a lot of it is washed out, for lack of a better definition. No other letter seems to be affected. I believe it is specific to I.E. because I just tested two forums, this one and one other I belong to both powered by phpBB (I don't know if that matters.) When I visited these forums and checked my already typed words using I.E. all the "Ws" were washed out (I only use the capital letter to try to show the plural of "w.") However, when using FF as my browser they were not washed out at all. They appeared normal as I would expect them to be in either browser. I tried changing fonts under I.E.'s tools, Internet Options on the General tab but nothing changed the washed out "w" while using I.E. Maybe I should mention that these washed out "Ws" only happen while typing within windows like this one and not on the log in screen as I am logging in. In both forums I do have a "w" in my userid and it is fine but not within these windows. Is there somewhere else I should be looking to change a font so I.E. works as well as FF?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Internet Explorer uses an algorithm called ClearType that should make letters smoother on LCD screens. It generally works well, but with some fonts and letters it results in diagonal strokes looking washed out. You can experiment with the ClearType tuner: select Start and type ClearType in the text box, then select the first search result.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I will look into that.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Internet Explorer uses an algorithm called ClearType that should make letters smoother on LCD screens. It generally works well, but with some fonts and letters it results in diagonal strokes looking washed out. You can experiment with the ClearType tuner: select Start and type ClearType in the text box, then select the first search result.
Hans I tried a few different choices and still have the washed out diagonal lines. If I uncheck the box to use ClearType and try that will I be able to run ClearType again and use it? The way things are going I don't want to take any chances on making things worse and not being able to correct it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, you can always turn off ClearType and turn it on again later if you wish.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I tried it and without it, it looks much worse.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See 'Blurry fonts' bug KB 2670838 persists with IE11 and Windows 7. This appears to be a known problem. Several possible fixes in there.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Joe. I read the entire article and I do believe it is not at all describing my problem. I even looked at the link it gave to see an example of the bleary text. Mine does not look like that at all. I just get a washed out diagonal line in the letter "w" none of my other letters are affected or bleary in any fashion.
Regards,
hlewton