Cannot get compatibility view to work

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot get compatibility view to work

Post by jmt356 »

I went to a web site that gives the message "We've detected that your operating system is not supported by this website" and that indicated that I should be viewing the web site with IE 9, not IE 10, which I am using. I noticed the Compatibility View button in my Address bar. I clicked the Compatibility View button, and I think that caused the Compatibility View button to change into a lighter color. I clicked it again and it changed to a darker color. I believe that when it is a darker color, it is active. However, either way, nothing seems to change on the web page. The message "We've detected that your operating system is not supported by this website" continues to display and when I log into the web site, abnormal web site behaviors persist. Is there any way around this issue besides uninstalling IE 10 and installing IE 9 in its place?
Regards,

JMT

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Re: Cannot get compatibility view to work

Post by MalcolmWalker »

It must be a very significant/important site to contemplate such a step as changing your browser!
If the creator of the website cannot be bothered to make the Website cross browser compatible between IE9 and 10 what possible justification can there be for you to change your browser to suit?
From my somewhat limited experience of website creation I would think that if it is best in IE9 the differences in the display in IE10 would be insignificant even if they are apparent.
Last edited by MalcolmWalker on 03 Oct 2013, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi jmt,

Try the steps in this webpage: Seems you can take IE10 all the way down to IE7 mode by accessing the developer mode.
How to make Internet Explorer 10 run in compatibility mode

Also see:
Fix site display problems with Compatibility View
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

How about identifying the web site so that others who try to connect can verify whether or not they are experiencing the same problems as you?
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please note that the website's message doesn't mention that your browser isn't supported, but that your operating system isn't... :crazy:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Please note that the website's message doesn't mention that your browser isn't supported, but that your operating system isn't...
LOL...if this is the cause of the issue -- we ALL missed that one!
(all except one)

I pays to read the error msg... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Rudi wrote:
Please note that the website's message doesn't mention that your browser isn't supported, but that your operating system isn't...
LOL...if this is the cause of the issue -- we ALL missed that one!
(all except one)

I pays to read the error msg... :laugh:
No sir! I did not miss the point about the operating system but I confined my response to the specific issue concerning IE9 and 10 raised in the original post; indeed as others did. I intended to mention the error message content in any further response to the OP as a pop up message can be added to a Website with content that could be either factual, misleading/mischievous or even malicious. As there has been nothing further from the OP the opportunity to do so has yet to arise.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am so confused that I hardly know where to start. This is the full error message:

We've detected that your operating system is not supported by this website.
“For best results, use one of the following operating systems:
“click here to open the list of browsers & operating system compatible with the Inspira website
“Mac OS X (Leopard)
“Windows 2003
“Windows XP
“Oracle Linux Enterprise
“Mac OS X (Tiger)
“Windows 7
“Windows Vista”

First, I am confused because I do not understand the link between an operating system and a web site. Isn’t it the web browser and not the operating system that determines whether a web page displays correctly?

Second, I am confused by the message that appears when I click on “click here.” A pdf opens that states the following:
“Important note: Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 are not yet supported by the Inspira system. If you are unable to use an alternative operating system, you may access Inspira using Internet Explorer 10 provided you enable the “Compatibility view” when browsing careers.un.org and inspira.un.org. For more information about the “Compatibility view”, please refer to http://windows.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.”

I have Windows 8 and have enabled compatibility view, yet I cannot tell whether I have it on or off and in either case, I can’t don’t really notice a difference in the way the web page looks.
Regards,

JMT

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I would suggest that your updated questions have already been answered in the responses to your original post.
You should bear in mind that a pop up message can contain any text that its creator cares to include. If you turned off pop up messages would you see the message? If not it cannot be a system generated message.
So the message, even though you now report it in full, does not necessarily indicate a fact generated by your system. And, taking the message at face value, compatibility view is hardly likely to change the display.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The developers state that the website is not compatible with Windows 8. Who are we to doubt them?

Visit the website.
Press function key F12 to open the Developer Tools window.
Click on Browser Mode.
S0300.png
Select Internet Explorer 9 from the dropdown menu.
Close the Developer Tools window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I find this very odd. I always understood that it is a web browser, not an operating system, that is to be compatible with a web site. Perhaps that understanding is mistaken.
Regards,

JMT