Close Last Tab in ie8

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Close Last Tab in ie8

Post by ChrisGreaves »

At the client's desk, I am forced to use IEv8 :sad: instead of FireFox v20 :angel: .

Is it me, or is it Microsoft?
I am in the habit of using Ctrl-F4 to close a tab (in FireFox and in IE).
In IE Ctrl-F4 shuts down the browser when used on the last available tab (that is, only one tab open), whereas in Firefox, Ctrl-F4 on the last tab closes the tab and leaves the browser open.

The IE behaviour makes little sense to me; if I want to close an application I'd use Alt-F4 (Or Alt-File, eXit).
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Close Last Tab in ie8

Post by HansV »

In Firefox 21, Ctrl+F4 closes the browser if there is only one tab, just like Internet Explorer. I don't have Firefox 20 any more to test...
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

This behavior must be controlled by some option/preference. In my case, using Firefox 21, Ctrl+F4 does not close the browser if there is only one tab. Instead, it displays up to 9 thumbnails of recently closed pages. I know there is a name for this but it currently escapes me.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:This behavior must be controlled by some option/preference. In my case, using Firefox 21, Ctrl+F4 does not close the browser if there is only one tab. Instead, it displays up to 9 thumbnails of recently closed pages. I know there is a name for this but it currently escapes me.
Thanks Paul; that's what FF does for me, too.
I think my older version left me at a blank page, which was OK too.
I have grown into the habit of issuing a series of Ctrl-F4s, somewhat blindly, as a means of saying "Wipe the slate clean; I want to start off a fresh new enquiry".
Oh well.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:In Firefox 21, Ctrl+F4 closes the browser if there is only one tab, just like Internet Explorer. I don't have Firefox 20 any more to test...
Thanks Hans; please see also my reply to PaulB.

I just (this year) upgraded to v20; I'm not scheduled for another upgrade until about 2035. :rofl:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote: I know there is a name for this but it currently escapes me.
browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab = False in my FF v20.