Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 released

HansV
Administrator

Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 released

Post by HansV »

Microsoft has released the 'final' version of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 (and Windows Server 2008). It will be offered through Windows Update soon, but if you'd like to install it now, visit Download Internet Explorer 10.

(Also posted in the Windows 7 forum)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 released

Post by Rebel »

I installed this version a few days ago and did not notice the advertised "faster" response times. What I did find was that when reading a new post, and then hitting the "back" button, the screen did not display the topic or thread as "read". I have to manually refresh the screen or leave the thread and return before the screen shows the post or thread as read.

From what I have been able to gather (from reading several other posts about this behaviour), it seems that this is a new "feature", added in order to allow pages to load "faster".
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My experience is the same: although I have always set IE to refresh at every new visit to a page, IE10 ignores this setting.
x1460.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

And if you don't want Windows Update automatically to install IE10 for you, set up the required registry key by running the IE10 Blocker Toolkit.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

HansV wrote:My experience is the same: although I have always set IE to refresh at every new visit to a page, IE10 ignores this setting.
I changed that setting as well (originally had it set to "automatic"), but to no avail.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Rebel wrote:... when reading a new post, and then hitting the "back" button, the screen did not display the topic or thread as "read".
Hmmm, I thought we were told here in The Lounge (and I can't remember for sure) a long time ago NOT to use the back button for that very reason.

I never use IE when Lounging, but Firefox has that behavior still. I just tested on this thread by hitting the back button and the red (unread) box is still there. I have to click one of the breadcrumb links to make it show as "read."

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

In this thread from three years ago, I made a point that I think it may even have been Eileen instructed NOT to use the back button ... FWIW. ( I realize we're a different organization, using different software, but ... )

Webpage expired

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It was Mummy (Eileen) who used to warn against using the Back button in what was then Woody's Lounge (now the Windows Secrets Lounge).
A long time ago, I discovered that making IE check for a new version of a page every time you visit it made it update the "read" status of a thread automatically even when you use the Back button (I need this setting for a web application we use at the place where I work). But now it doesn't work any more.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

I hadn't read (at least not that I remember) about NOT using the Back button. Up until the "upgrade" to IE10, I was using IE9 with the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" set to Automatic and everything was working satisfactorily. However, such is "progress" I guess . . . . :scratch:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IE 10 was offered to my Win 7 Starter Ed. Acer netbook today. It took a very long time to download and install it but eventually it said restart now. The shutdown stage seemed to go OK but the restart has hung.

I've got a black screen with Windows message box titled 'Personalized Settings' saying, "Setting up personalized settings for: Web Platform Customizations". It's been like this for about an hour now.

Any wisdom on how long I should leave it like that before holding the power button until it shuts off and then restarting? I can leave it over night if necessary.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Even on a netbook, configuring shouldn't take more than, say, 10 minutes at the very most. I'd turn the netbook off, then on again.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, powered down, waited a while, restarted and I'm at the Windows Error Recovery Menu.

I'm choosing safe mode...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's booted and I've logged in and it's given me a Windows Help what is safe mode page. Dismissed that. Starting IE, which reports it's v 10.0.9200.16521. I've unticked the 'install new versions automatically' that's in the 'About' dialog. Closing IE.

Shutting down (not restarting, will do that from cold) the netbook...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Powering up again...

It's slower than usual but I've got to the login screen...

Mistyped my own password :stupidme:

I'm in again, Desktop looks OK. Starting Picasa, seems slow but opens OK... Checking for updates (I know there is one, as Picasa on the desktop just updated). Reached 99% complete 00:00 left. Long pause, Picasa is restarting. Took a while but it's done now.

Thanks, looks like all is well again.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew! Hopefully, it'll be OK from now on...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Is it worth installing IE10 on Windows 7 :scratch: Greater safety, faster, more features :scratch: I have read many 'mixed' opinions and would like to hear the views of our members. This link seems a positive review ... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416300,00.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I mostly use Chrome nowadays.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:Is it worth installing IE10 on Windows 7...
I have upgraded to IE10 on Win7 because Windows Update presented it to my netboook as an 'Important' update and I always (eventually, usually about a month behind) install 'Important' updates. I ignore updates labelled 'Recommended'.

In other words I have upgraded IE for the sole purpose of being up to date, aka replacing a set of old security holes with a bunch of new ones :grin: I do not use IE, Firefox is my browser of choice.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I installed IE10 on Windows 7 three weeks ago. On the whole it appears to work well.
Pro: spell checking has finally come to Internet Explorer, without needing add-ons.
Cons: if a page loads slowly, the title of its tab remains set to "Waiting for ..." even after the page has loaded.
After browsing for an extended period of time, with many open tabs, iexplore.exe sometimes remains in memory after all browser windows have been closed.

I have encountered surprisingly few compatibility problems; there is only one website that I visit regularly that I need to open in compatibility view.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your views gents. I will give it a go.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:... I will give it a go.
You did see the bit where I said I DON'T use IE?

Ken