OUT of memory in array

sal21
PlatinumLounger

OUT of memory in array

Post by sal21 »

I have out of memory when fill the array, but only with 122.658 items, other numbers of item is ok...

Erase strDBRows()
strDBRows = RST0.GetRows()

i fill the getrow () from a select query with 21 fields

Note:

i have dimensioned with Dim strdbrows() without As statement... peraphs the variable assume to the defualt Variant? is this the problem? :sad: :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Re: OUT of memory in array

Post by HansV »

The declaration isn't the problem - the array must be of type Variant here, since the fields can be of different data types.
The memory usage of the array depends on the size of the records - 21 text fields filled with long strings take up much more space than 21 number fields.
Best wishes,
Hans

sal21
PlatinumLounger

Post by sal21 »

HansV wrote:The declaration isn't the problem - the array must be of type Variant here, since the fields can be of different data types.
The memory usage of the array depends on the size of the records - 21 text fields filled with long strings take up much more space than 21 number fields.
ok instead to store getrow in the array how to loop directlly the RST0.GetRows?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the recordset is too big to read into memory all at once, you will have to loop through the records using

Code: Select all

Do While Not RST0.EOF
    ... ' your code here
    RST0.MoveNext
Loop
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Alternatively, GetRows() has parameters to allow you to extract a number of rows, and also to specify specific fields. You could put this in a loop to extract blocks of data.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

Something like:

Code: Select all

Do Until RSTO.EOF
    Erase strDBRows
    strDBRows = RSTO.GetRows(20000)
    'I'm guessing once you've used GetRows() the bookmark is moved to the next row, otherwise
    'you would need to specify the Start argument: .GetRows(20000,20001) etc. Use a variable for this.
    'do something with the 20k rows..
Loop
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.