Missing calendar control in O2010

Rubberduckone
Lounger

Missing calendar control in O2010

Post by Rubberduckone »

Hi (finally found you guys again, "you can run, but...") :grin:,

...and I can see that "someone" meanwhile have received their knighthood - huge congrats on that :clapping: :fanfare: :cheers:

Also "meanwhile", I've had my system upgraded to W7-64 bit / O2010-32 (UK version).

In my old environment (W-XP / O2003) I've created an excel solution including a MS calendar control "dtpicker" (mscal.ocx).

I've noted that the .ocx is gone for O2010, so for my standard users I cannot rely on mscal being around. Instead I've been through the vba editor and have in the "controls" found another dt picker under mscomct2.ocx (in the "syswow64" folder). Once checked it displays OK in the controls list, but when I try to insert a specific control on a form I get an error dialogue "Element not found" :scratch:

Two questions:
1. Is a calendar control available in mscomct2.ocx?
2. Any suggestions for other places to find a usable calendar control of some kind.

PS: The "Gmayor" solution mentioned if googled is unfortunately not an option as I cannot rely on having mscal installed and registered to the users folders

TIA,
:clapping: RD
Thanks and best regards
RD

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
If it is important to you, you'll find a way. If not you'll find an excuse.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Missing calendar control in O2010

Post by HansV »

Hi RubberDuck,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge (and thanks for the congratulations)! We haven't been hiding, we've been in plain sight all this time...

As you have found, the Calendar Control is no longer available. It came with Microsoft Access, but Microsoft decided to build a date/time picker into Access itself, and discontinued the ActiveX calendar control.

1. No, there is only the DTPicker, which can cause problems.
2. It's best to use a calendar built from "native" forms controls. You can find a free one here: Userform Calendar Control. The download link is near the bottom of the page.
Since this calendar doesn't use external controls, it should work for all users, in all versions of Excel.
Best wishes,
Hans