Word 2010 - ScreenUpdating issue (VSTO)

Jack21
2StarLounger

Word 2010 - ScreenUpdating issue (VSTO)

Post by Jack21 »

Hi, can anyone help?

I have come across an issue with Word 2010 and the ScreenUpdating function. I have a VSTO template with a task pane attached. The template loads with the task pane, the user completes the information in the task pane, clicks OK and the information is populated into the document, based on the template.

In Office 2007 I set the ScreenUpdating as False to ensure that the user could not access the template before completing the task pane, which worked perfectly. The issue I have with Word 2010 is that the application appears to load slightly differently causing the screen to freeze before loading the actual template. (See attached screenshot).

Has anyone come across this and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2010 - ScreenUpdating issue (VSTO)

Post by HansV »

Do you have global templates/add-ins in Word? If so, you might try disabling or removing them temporarily to see if the problem goes away.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jack21
2StarLounger

Post by Jack21 »

Tried that, alas no joy - still get the same result. I can access the document but visibly cannot see it, I put a Sleep in before setting the ScreenUpdating to False but found that the sleep was extending the application opening time. It seems that the application will not open as expected until all components have loaded - but I might be wrong.

Jack

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does it work correctly if you (temporarily) comment out the lines that set ScreenUpdating to False?
Best wishes,
Hans

Jack21
2StarLounger

Post by Jack21 »

Yes. The problem I have is that I cannot allow the user to access the document while the task pane is visible, in 2007 I set the ScreenUpdating but in 2010 it just doesn't work !!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't a modal dialog be more suitable here than a task pane?
Best wishes,
Hans

Jack21
2StarLounger

Post by Jack21 »

I actually have 10 VSTO solutions in one project, with all solutions having their own specific task pane. All of the solutions all the same shared code when it comes to updating the screen.

Regards
Jack

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I dont use VSTO myself, so I'm afraid I can't help. Perhaps someone else will come up with a useful suggestion.
Best wishes,
Hans