ChartArea

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

ChartArea

Post by ErikJan »

Office 2007

I have a Chart-Sheet with a chart in it. If I click the chartarea, I can size it. The plot sizes with it and I can see that in the Activesheet.chartarea object (e.g. width, left). When I move the chartarea around however the original area underneath remains white. Looks like this indicates the maximum 'window' (or viewport) in which the chartarea is displayed.

Now if someone did play around with the chartarea dimensions and location, how would I reset the position to its maximum?

Related; on different systems where my tool runs, sometimes the right part of the chart area is not displayed. I think because the Activesheet.chartarea.width has been set large somehow than the maximum (I didn't do that and it looks like it is happening semi automatically somehow, note that this behavior does not happen on my system [which is International/English but does seem to happen on US systems, not sure if this is a coincidence). Also here it would help if I could reset the width.
Note that I 'fit' the charts to the window like this (but I couldn't imagine this would cause the above behavior):
Private Sub Chart_Activate()
ActiveWindow.Zoom = True
End Sub

HansV
Administrator

Re: ChartArea

Post by HansV »

According to Microsoft, the ability to move/resize the chart area of a chart sheet in Excel 2007 is a bug, not a feature. In Excel 2010, this ability has been removed.

From Amit Velinkar's reply in Excel 2010 can't resize a newly created Chart Sheet:
(...) The behavior you describe is actually a bug in Excel 2007. The Excel chartsheet is optimized for printing and uses print drivers to provide optimal results when printing a chart. As in Excel 2003, the chart area on a chartsheet was not designed to be resized independent of the page properties.

In Excel 2007, there was a bug (loophole) which allowed the chart area on a chartsheet to be resized. Since the chartsheet was not designed for this behavior, we saw issues around chart positioning and sizing especially when switching between print drivers. We have plugged this loophole for Excel 2010.

A workaround is to use a blank chartsheet and use embedded charts on this worksheet. These floating charts can be resized and moved as you wish. (...)
That doesn't answer your question, of course. But since I have Excel 2010, I can't help you with this.
Best wishes,
Hans

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Re: ChartArea

Post by ErikJan »

That's too bad... but clear! Thanks Hans