Unrecognized function in Access 2007

JudyJones
StarLounger

Unrecognized function in Access 2007

Post by JudyJones »

I have a user who is using StrConv([Fieldname],3) in a query in Access 2007 and is getting an error message that it is an unrecognized function. They have SP2 installed which was my first thought because the copy of Access 2007 I am using does recognize this function. Does anyone have an idea of what else to look for that could cause this type of problem or would a reinstall be the way to go?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unrecognized function in Access 2007

Post by HansV »

Don't reinstall - that's only a last-ditch measure, and moreover it rarely helps. The most probable explanation is a missing VBA reference. This is dependent on the PC, so it has to be solved by the user, or at least on the user's PC.

- Open the database.
- Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
- Select Tools | References...
- Look for references whose check box is ticked (they are listed at the top) that start with MISSING:.
- Clear their check boxes.
- Select Debug | Compile <project> to see if any errors occur.
- If not, StrConv should hopefully work again.
Best wishes,
Hans

JudyJones
StarLounger

Post by JudyJones »

That worked like a charm. I hope you realize how much time you save people when you provide fixes that are so simple and yet accomplish what is needed in so few steps.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Simple fixes don't always work, but it's nice when they do! :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

This MISSING reference issue has been around for a number of years. Are they unable to resolve it (excusing the pun)? Or at least they should 'promote' it as a very common issue.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:This MISSING reference issue has been around for a number of years. Are they unable to resolve it (excusing the pun)?
Who are "they"? Microsoft?

A missing reference means that code execution points into a file that is not available. There is no easy way to "resolve" that - it requires human intervention...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Would it not be possible for Microsoft to generate a more helpful error message?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure, but I can imagine it would be quite difficult to distinguish code not running because of a missing reference and code not running because the programmer forgot to include a user-defined function or type. So a modified error message could cause unwanted confusion in other situations. But that is just a guess.
Best wishes,
Hans