Shortcut not found but mdb file opens anyway?

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Shortcut not found but mdb file opens anyway?

Post by Carol W. »

Win XP - SP3, Access 2010 (recently upgraded from 2003)

I have a shortcut on the desktop to an mdb file. A message appears saying that the shortcut cannot be found but the file opens anyway behind the message. I tried making a new shortcut but I still have the same issue, but not all the time (??).

Is there a way to fix this so the message doesn't appear or is than XP issue? I think I recall having the same issue, occasionally, when Access 2003 was installed on the same computer.

Thanks, in advance.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Shortcut not found but mdb file opens anyway?

Post by HansV »

Does the error message really say that the shortcut cannot be found?

Has Windows Search been installed on this PC?
Best wishes,
Hans

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

My error - it says that the target file can't be found.

There is the built-in Windows search (appears as Search on the Start menu), if that's what you mean. Is there another type of XP Windows search?
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows XP has a built-in search function, with the loved/hated "search companion" (by default a puppy wagging its tail). Microsoft offers a more powerful version for download, originally named Windows Desktop Search, later Windows Search. Therecent thread Advanced Search has screenshots: Windows Search at the top, the older built-in search below it.

There are some reports that Windows Search can interfere with shortcuts, resulting in behavior similar to what you experienced. So if you have Windows Search, you might turn it off to see if it makes a difference.
Best wishes,
Hans

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Still looking to check for installation of Windows Desktop Search. The machine has been utilized all day (I access it remotely) so I will need to wait until tonight to check.

Will report back but I don't recall ever seeing Windows Desktop Search on that machine.
Carol W.

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Finally got on machine in question. No Windows Desktop search that I can see. See attached screenshot.
allv search.jpg
BTW, this behavior doesn't happen all the time. I just tried opening the mdb from the shortcut and it worked as expected.

This is a multi user account XP machine. It seems to happen when one first logs in. I'm really just guessing here.

Any other thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're correct, that is the original, built-in search, not the more advanced Windows Search.

I'm afraid I have no idea what could cause it, sorry!
Best wishes,
Hans