Minimum Requirements for using SQL 2005

Mark L
3StarLounger

Minimum Requirements for using SQL 2005

Post by Mark L »

I've got a client who really needs to upsize from their mdb database to an SQL Server backend. They already have SQL Server 2005. Problem is, this is a manufacturing facility, and they have several old computers down on the shop floor that probably aren't compatible. With any luck, they might all at least be running Windows XP, but I'm not 100% sure of that; and even so, they probably don't have latest Service Pack. I think a couple still use Access 2000, and even those that might have Access2003 don't have latest Service Pack (don't ask, I've complained about this for years).

Does anyone know what the minimum hardware requirements, Windows version, and Access version they should have at all workstations?
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Minimum Requirements for using SQL 2005

Post by Wendell »

The minimum requirements for SQL Server 2005 depend to some extent on the version they have. If they have the workgroup version or the express version, 512MB is adequate, but to optimize performance you really want to give SQL Server enough RAM to load all or at least all of the most important tables into RAM. Also, it only requires a Pentium III or better clocked at 600 MHz, though I would strongly suggest a dual processor at least at 1GHz, especially if the server PC is being used for anything else. And SQL Server 2005 should run under Windows XP, but they should upgrade to SP3 post haste before Microsoft drops support completely. As to the workstations, presuming you use ODBC linked tables (my recommendation so you don't have to redesign your database to an ADP), you will need to install the latest version of the SQL Server Native Client 10 on each one, and set up an ODBC data source. And that runs just fine on Windows XP. Finally, as long as you keep your FE in Access 2000 format, it should run on any of the workstations. even if they upgrade some to 2007 or 2010. And yes - they should get them updated to the lastest SP even on Access 2003.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!