Restricting access

silverback
5StarLounger

Restricting access

Post by silverback »

Having got the car registration form here working, the user would now like the reception staff to be able to use this if ever there's a parking problem.
They are not, however, usual users of the staff DB, these being the Director, the HR manager and the Finance Administrator only. So reception staff access would need to be restricted to using this one form (which is accessed via a Switchboard) i.e. they would be prevented from seeing any other part of the DB.

Is there a way of doing this, please?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Restricting access

Post by HansV »

How secure do you want this to be? Is it sufficient if they don't see anything but that form but could if they tried, or should it be (almost) impossible for them to do so?
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

HansV wrote:How secure do you want this to be? Is it sufficient if they don't see anything but that form but could if they tried, or should it be (almost) impossible for them to do so?
I think the director would want the second option, but if it's very difficult, he might accept the first option. Sorry to be vague.
Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The easy way would be to create a separate frontend with only the form the reception staff needs, queries and links to the table(s) required for the form.
In the startup options, set this form to be the startup form and clear most or all of the check boxes.

Give the reception staff a copy of this frontend.

See if this would be acceptable.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

That's very neat. I think the director might be prepared to accept this.
I will put it to him and post what happens. This won't be for a while, yet.
Thanks
Silverback

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

OK, decision made. The director doesn't want additional people accessing the DB, so this is not going to be implemented.

Thanks again for your help
Silverback