New database terms 2007

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

New database terms 2007

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Could someone attempt to describe (briefly) the terms data cube,data warehouse and splices?
I come across these terms but am of the opinion that they are still based on SQL statements and,
probably, relational databases, so they can't be as complicated /innovative as they sound?
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: New database terms 2007

Post by Wendell »

I'll take a quick stab at it, but others may also want to chime in. A Data Cube, or more precisely, an OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) Cube is data stored in a multi-dimensional array so it can be quickly analyzed, and is not stored in a relational structure in general, although the major database engines have introduced features that support the concept.

Data Warehouse is a concept where data is organized for the generation of reports, typically where information is time sensitive, and often contains very large quantities of data. A data warehouse may be organized as a dimensional (data cube) structure, or as a relational structure, and a number of hybrid approaches.

Splice is not a term I hear used in connection with database work, but it is sometimes used to refer to linked lists. And it is also used in the LINUX world as the name of a system call. In what context have you seen the term?
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the Wikipedia articles for OLAP cube (also mentions Slice - which might be more appropriate here than Splice) and Data warehouse.
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Data warehouse, Data cube and 'Slice & Dice' are all terms that I have come accross in 'Business Objects' which is a database tool. I'm far from an expert in this field though.

Google - Business objects slice and dice
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you all for these details. I will also pursue the links given, but is data still obtained from data cubes by SQL
statements? Are data cubes fundamentally different to storage within relational databases?
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.