SQL SERVER Access Database

Michael Abrams
4StarLounger

SQL SERVER Access Database

Post by Michael Abrams »

Not sure if this belongs in Access forum, so please feel free to move accordingly.
Our wonderful IT department created an Access database using (dbo) SQL Server.
They took my original database tables, queries etc and linked them to THEIR server.
We all received permission to create a Desktop Shortcut directly to the database (in a sub folder on their drive)
The purpose was to ‘speed up’ the database because multiple users access the database simultaneously .
When we were using ‘my’ database on our drive – I split it (front end/back end) and that did not increase the speed by much with multiple users.
IT says I should use a “local” instance of their database. I tried to “Split” the new database from their drive and place the backend on “our” local drive.
Before I contact them, I was wondering if you could help me understand what I would need to do. I hate giving IT the "edge". The guy working this, said his expertise is SQL, not Access :hairout:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: SQL SERVER Access Database

Post by HansV »

When you work with Access exclusively, you split the database into an Access backend containing only the tables (and perhaps some queries), and an Access frontend containing the queries, forms and reports. Ideally, each user should install a copy of the frontend on their own computer.
This has several advantages:
  • A database with only tables and queries is less likely to become corrupted, so the data are a lot safer in a separate backend.
  • If a copy of the frontend becomes corrupted, you only need to replace that copy.
  • If the designer of the database wants to edit forms or reports, they can do so in their own copy of the frontend, without interfering with the normal use of the database. Once the edits are finished, they can distribute a fresh copy of the frontend to the end users.
S2473.png

Now that the IT department has created a SQL Server backend, you don't need to split the Access database anymore. You can use your frontend and link it to the SQL Server backend.
Again, ideally each user should have their own copy of the Access frontend.

S2474.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Michael Abrams
4StarLounger

Re: SQL SERVER Access Database

Post by Michael Abrams »

Simple enough - Thank you Hans.