Rounding not happening

silverback
5StarLounger

Rounding not happening

Post by silverback »

I have a VB function which returns a single. The routine is called from a calculated column in a query and the returned value needs to be rounded to two decimal places.
I put a Round function in the VB routine, but it didn't do anything i.e. the returned value in the query had 15, 16 etc decimal places (obviously depending on the fraction).

I then removed the Round in the function and put it on the calculated column. This hasn't done anything, either.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get these return values rounded to 2 decimal places, please?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Rounding not happening

Post by HansV »

In the first place, I'd make the return value of the function a Double. The Single data type is rather inaccurate, so you often get rounding errors.

In the second place, I'd specify a format for the column in the query with 2 decimal places - either Fixed or, if applicable, Currency.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Thanks - all working now.
Learnt yet more from this posting - did not know that a query column could be formatted, so thanks for that, too.

Silverback

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hans
Forgot to ask - purely for curiosity - if you know why the rounding did not work.

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the numbers were similar to 4.569999 or 6.780001, it was probably a matter of rounding errors. Computers work with binary numbers, and many (most) decimal fractions can't be represented exactly in binary, so rounding errors are unavoidable.
Otherwise, it's hard to say without seeing the database.
Best wishes,
Hans