New Db building stuff

bknight
BronzeLounger

Re: New Db building stuff

Post by bknight »

Stupid question, but how do I see the properties of the combo box? when selecting or right-clicking it shows. the property of ActionName

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Open the form in design view.
Select the combo box.
If you don't see the Properties pane or Property Sheet (the exact name depends on your version of Access), press F4.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Ok, it says selection type: Combo Box, I was looking at all of the properties, sorry.
Now how do I fill out the ActionId with a specific number/test once the ActionName is selected?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What do you want to populate ActionID with, and why?
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

A number/text 46-49. I feel more comfortable having that, for instance the entry this morning is not one of the 46-49, but it is still an entry into the table. I know you feel it doesn't necessarily belong and I can see your POV, but I still fall back to the entry is there even if it doesn't have a action, rather like a bank.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There is no point in storing the same information twice, even if it is in slightly different form...
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

There is no point in arguing either.
Thanks for your help

EileenStifone
NewLounger

Post by EileenStifone »

Did you see the example I attached?
To manage a database it is first necessary to read at least what is indispensable in order to understand what one is doing and not improvise at random.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

EileenStifone wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 10:34
Did you see the example I attached?
To manage a database it is first necessary to read at least what is indispensable in order to understand what one is doing and not improvise at random.
Please attached it again.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It is still attached to this post on page 1 of this thread.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

EileenStifone wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 12:25
In the attachment you will find the modified file.
The ActionID field looks like it shouldn't be needed if you enter ActionName directly.
In the tables you should worry about managing the property Required to Yes in the fields if the entry of a data is necessary and not as now which allows you to save a record by valuing only one field, any one.
As I explained to Hans, I believe that both are needed. Different data, that has similar meaning. Actionname is a text field, ActionID is a number.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

An alternative: include ActionID in the Action table. I have attached the modified database but I will also post screenshots of all the changes I made.

S2099.png
S2100.png
S2101.png
S2102.png
S2103.png
FutureTS.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Hans I toyed with a similar idea but not a automunber/index nuber. I think that might be usefule if the drop down has two columns and bith would be displayed in the dropdown.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I set Column Widths to 0 to hide the first column. If you clear that property, you'll see both fields in the drop down list.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Ok, I tried setting columns to 2 and hitting delete key on width, and of course I get an error must be a valid number(something like that as I deleted the error message). This is not your table that may have been in the zip file, but my table named TradeNum with field 1 NumType(Number) and field 2 NumDesc(Text) images attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In your screenshot you appear to have cleared Column Widths (not Width) successfully. But if you still have problems, you can set it to (for example)

0.5";2"
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

May I respectfully point out that you have Quntity instead of Quantity in both Trades and frmTrades.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

HansV wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 14:33
May I respectfully point out that you have Quntity instead of Quantity in both Trades and frmTrades.
Thanks for the heads up. That a key is on the left side of the keyboard side of the keyboard, which is affected by previous stroke.
Width needs a number also. I get the same #Name? With TradeNum as row source and control source all the entries appear as #Name? so that won't work and with that I have to go back and resign the whole Db, maybe. Without opening your zip file will that work NOT to have an autonumber but just a number?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, it can be a number (long integer) field too. The only difference is that you will have to enter the values yourself instead of Access generating it automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

HansV wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 16:51
Yes, it can be a number (long integer) field too. The only difference is that you will have to enter the values yourself instead of Access generating it automatically.
That won't be a problem as it is a one time entry for multiple uses. There are perhaps many more entries than the five I chose(Other-added), and that would make it grow, but in this instance five is precise.
Thanks for your patience and help.

ETA: This is a beginning, even though I more or less assumed a industry similar method of accounting, but alas ASSUMPTIONS make an ass out of you and me. Not true in almost every field, but workable.