Running Switchboard

Sgte
2StarLounger

Running Switchboard

Post by Sgte »

I've created a switchboard which I want to run when the db starts. According to "Help" I should run the switchboard manager and having highlighted the "Main Menu" click on make default. Exit the db, then re-start it and "Bob should be my uncle" - but he isn't! The switchboard does not automatically load at start up. Can anyone assist with this problem please?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Running Switchboard

Post by HansV »

"Make default" only sets the selected switchboard page to be the first to be displayed when the switchboard is opened.
If you want to open the switchboard automatically when the database is opened, you must make it the startup form.

In Access 2003 and earlier: select Tools | Startup..., select Switchboard from the "Display Form" dropdown, then click OK.

In Access 2007: click the Office button, then click Access Options. Select "Current Database" in the navigation pane on the left, then select Switchboard from the "Display Form" dropdown under "Application Options", and finally click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Aaha! Thank you Hans.

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi Hans and all.
Having got the switchboard running when the db opens, the actual buttons on the form will not activate the secondary menus. I click on them but nothing happens. Do I have to completely re-build the switchboard?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hopefully not! You should be able to use the Switchboard Manager to modify the action of the buttons.

If you are using Access 2007 or later, make sure that VBA hasn't been disabled.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Thanks Hans, I'm running Access 2003. Tried editing the items via the switchboard Manager, but still no response on the buttons. Does it make a difference that the table switchboard items is stored on this pc (pc2) and that all the other tables (the back end) are on pc1? The front end on pc1 works perfectly though.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It should work regardless of the location of the Switchboard Items table. I'm afraid it's difficult to know what causes the problem without seeing (a stripped down copy of) the database.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Ok, I re-created the switchboard and then it worked properly. Then I added a macro that runs when the form is opened: maximise Now the switchboard has stopped working. Any ideas as to why this happened please.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Adding the macro when the form is opened disabled the VBA code that runs behind the switchboard. You can only have one thing happen on the Open Event. Try using a different event such as On Load or On Activate for example.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Many thanks Wendell, your advice is spot on! On load macro runs nicely