Demonstrate SQL Server SQL

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Demonstrate SQL Server SQL

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I need to demonstrate use of SQL statements against a SQL Server database.
Is there a way that I can do this without having a full installation of SQL Server (or SQL Server Express)
available? I want to try and demonstrate on a standalone computer.
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Demonstrate SQL Server SQL

Post by HansV »

If you don't want to install SQL Server Express, you could use an Access database and set it to use ANSI92 SQL instead of Access SQL; ANSI92 is compatible with SQL Server.
You set this option in Tools | Options..., Tables/Queries tab (Access 2003 or before) or in Office | Access Options, Object Designers tab (Access 2007).
x277.png
You won't be able to demonstrate T-SQL in Access though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

The short answer is no - although I suppose you could paste screen shots into a PowerPoint presentation and then do it that way. But installing SQL Server Express on a standalone PC is a pretty straightforward exercise. More importantly, who is your audience, and what is the purpose of the demonstration?
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you Hans - that may help.
Wendell, it's for a chap who already uses SQL against SQL Servers but wants to fill in some gaps in his knowledge of SQL syntax.
Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Since that's the case, you are either stuck with a simple presentation, or you need to be able to run T-SQL - and as Hans points out, it's enough different from Access SQL that you can't use Access to demo it. In addition you are likely to get into stored procedures and such - they can be demoed in Access using an ADP, but that has to connect to a SQL back end.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I think I'll avoid ADP; I've had problems with it before, particularly when using Access 2007. I've got SQL Express on a laptop, so I think I'll spend some time grappling with it's interface.
Thanks, Andy.