Editing series labels in Graph locks up Microsoft Access

kwvh
3StarLounger

Editing series labels in Graph locks up Microsoft Access

Post by kwvh »

I am using Access 2010 (which may be the problem).
I have a form with four graphs, one in each quadrant. Top two are column graphs, and bottom two are pie. When the form is open I can see four copies of Graph running in the Task Manager.

When I try formatting the labels on the pie charts, Access locks up. When I look at the Task Manager, I now only have three copies of Graph running. Control break, escape and cursing do not return control, and I have to kill it with Task Manager.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas, other than don't mess the labels? LOL

Thanks,

Ken

Also, fwiw, don't "End Process" for Microsoft Access before ending the Graph processes. Bad things happen. I had to recreate the form as it lost its ability to recognize the criteria in the query and gave me blank graphs in all four quadrants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwvh
3StarLounger

Re: Editing series lables in Graph locks up Microsoft Access

Post by kwvh »

It doesn't appear to be related to the fact that there are four charts on the same form. I created a new form and a new chart object, and when I edit the labels in the new chart object, it locks up the system again. Must be related to the pie chart object some how.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Access 2007, and I can't reproduce the error. Editing data labels in a form similar to yours doesn't cause problems.

I can't find any mention of the problem, so I'm unable to shed any light on it...
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Ken -
Can you post a sanitized version of the database? I can't find anything on the web about that behavior either, and I didn't play with that sort of thing in the testing I did with the preview version. I'm suspicious that it may be the graphing object rather than Access that is behind the problem. The fact that one of the instances - presumably the one for the chart you try to relabel - goes away seems to point in that direction.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

kwvh
3StarLounger

Re: Editing series labels in Graph locks up Microsoft Access

Post by kwvh »

Additional Info:
This problem appears to be unique to the 64 bit version. I opened the database in Office 2010 32 bit, and edited the labels successfully. Hans opened in 2007 and was unable to replicate the problem.

Wendell,
Do you still want a sanitized version uploaded?

Thanks for your consideration.

Ken

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Sorry - I missed the fact that it was the 64-bit version. It is purported to be a fair bit buggier than the 32 bit version. So no - don't need a sanitized version. But you might report that to MS as a bug - I'm sure they are interested in cleaning up the 64-bit apps.
Wendell

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Wendell,

Thanks for getting back to me. It wasn't your fault, as I didn't indicate the 64 bit version. I hate to show my ignorance, but how would I notify Microsoft?

Thanks again for your help.

Respectfully,

Ken

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Well, that turned out to be a more complicated question than I thought it would be. Turns out the phone support is the best way to report a suspected bug - see this http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug/en-us for the contact number. However, you may not get much help from that route I suspect. I'll send you a PM on another alternative.
Wendell

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Wendell,

Thanks for the info. I did send a copy of the database to Microsoft and they confirmed a bug. It is only in the 64 bit version and they don't have a work around. At least I know I am not losing my mind.

Thanks!

Ken

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Thanks for the feedback - those kind of cases can really drive you into the looney bin!
Wendell