Access 2003 shared database

matthewR
5StarLounger

Access 2003 shared database

Post by matthewR »

I have a database that I thought was designated a shared database so more than one person could open the database. Someone was in the database but I couldn't open it as long as they were in the database. I looked under tools/options/advanced and the Default Open Mode is shared. There is one thing different now - we just got updated to explorer 7. Would that cause this behavior and if so how can I get the database to be a shared database again?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access 2003 shared database

Post by HansV »

If someone opens an Access database and starts modifying database objects, that user locks the database exclusively. Check whether that could be the cause.

:whisper: Could you provide feedback on the replies to your recent questions? Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

matthewR
5StarLounger

Post by matthewR »

No they were just opening reports. Could it be some security setting? I know before we got Explorer 7, multiple people could access the database. I have to check whether this is the case for other databases that are shared.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What exactly do you mean by Explorer 7? Do you have Windows 7 as operating system, or Internet Explorer 7 as browser, or ...?
Best wishes,
Hans

matthewR
5StarLounger

Post by matthewR »

Internet Explorer 7 as browser.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That has no direct bearing on Access 2003.

Make sure that all users have full permissions (read/write/create/delete) on the folder containing the database (and if it's split into a frontend and backend, this holds for the folder containing the frontend AND the folder containing the backend). These are Windows-level permissions, not Access-level permissions.
Best wishes,
Hans

matthewR
5StarLounger

Post by matthewR »

I could open the databases (in use) on the drive that is designated a secure site but the databases that are on my directory are the ones that can't be open by more than one person.

I get the attached security warning when opening databases that are not on a designated secure site. When I open databases on the secured sites, I don't get this security warning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

I would take Hans' advice one step further:
Make sure that all users have full permissions (read/write/create/delete) on the folder containing the database (and if it's split into a frontend and backend, this holds for the folder containing the frontend AND the folder containing the backend). These are Windows-level permissions, not Access-level permissions.
I have had good luck, in this kinds of issues, giving the "Everyone" Windows user group full control on the individual file(s) in question. To do this:

- Right click the mdb file(s) in question
- Click Properties
- Click the Security tab
- Click Edit
- Click Add
- Enter "Everyone" (no quotes) in the box labelled "Enter the object names to select".
- Click OK
- Highlight Everyone
- Click the "Full Control" checkbox. This will automatically check all the check boxes except "Special Permissions"
- Click Apply
- Click OK

Using this technique, I was recently able to give a user full control to an individual file in a protected folder.

Does this help?
Carol W.

matthewR
5StarLounger

Post by matthewR »

That probably would work if my company didn't control everything. The Add button is dimmed out.

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Sorry! :sad:
Carol W.